Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I hack Hotmail, AOL etc?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    The intent was not to educate..... Education comes _after_ awareness. Awareness creates interest. You can't teach someone something that they aren't interested in. Once you get their interest then you can educate.... otherwise you are "pissing in the wind"...

Funnily enough it has raised quite a bit of interest amongst my users. Sufficiently so that I was asked to send it to a local technology reporter who I believe is nationally syndicated. After some thought which ended with me thinking that I would be ignored anyway I did. Within 15 minutes I received a message from his Blackberry informing me that he was away on an assignment but that he wanted to discuss this with me on tuesday..... What did I just do?

Gore: Thanks for the spell/grammar check. Nice pickup on Word but you are wrong I did it in Outlook... so there....

For those of you not paying attention - There is a "smiley-winkey" thing at the end of that statement.....

I think it would be fine for Gore and his friends to come down here and wreak havoc with this system.... Those who read the "Kurt Hack" thread know I have been vehemently against this since I first heard about it. It angers the hell out of me to see these people feather their own bed at the risk of the taxpayers. There are at least half a million people in Oakland County. Some of those could quite possibly suffer greatly as a result of this "initiative". The question I want the answer to from these people is how many "victims" are acceptable, one, five, one hundred.... all small numbers compated to the population.... What happens if someone dies? or are 5 deaths ok?..... Rant over... I have a bar to build.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Oh Sorry Tiger Shark, here stupid me thought Outlook used WORD for it's editor Lol.

Gore:

Since you appear to have missed the "smiley-winkey" thing it's really easy to set up Outlook to send/view emails in several different ways..... Course, you being a leet linux kiddie, you might have missed out on the easy configurability, (???? new word????), of windows software....

Your turn for a dig..... Get your shovel....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Well, since I don't use Lookout, I couldn't tell you. I use Mutt. But when I did use it it used Word for an ed. So do you call everyone that doesn't pay extortion for Office leet Linux kids? I don't make much money which you know already, I've told you exactly what I make a month, so what makes yout hink I'm going to waste.... Hmmm 3 months of pay? To buy Office? And don't tell me about outlook express. That's not a mail client that's a GUI for virii spreading.

Me reading Mail:

Banned
    Hmm I like Outlook Express... clean, simple, efficient, as featured as I need. Security... well yeah... it is as good as any other client software. I do use Outlook though because it greatly simplifies contact management.

I tend to pirate Office and then I work it off later by thousands of posts about how great Microsoft is. (Actually usually my job has provided me with what I need... I just like thinking of myself as a pirate Arrr... FSM forever! That and the fact that I have Maserati upkeep to pay for... can't be affording fancy software.)

cheers,

catch

So what is your plan for education from this point forward??? Instruct your users to VPN into work and surf their email? Instruct them to purchase a router at home and VPN into that whenever they want to surf the web?

I can see you have sparked interest but what comes next what is your plan for education? Don't do it they will watch? Only surf news nonimportant sites? What about all the data on your computer that is suddenly opened up because you just connected to the public internet??

Just curious how you are going to push forward

--Spy
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Banned
    I still firmly believe people should have to pass an operators exam and gain a computer licence before embarking on the adventures of touching a keyboard... Let alone wireless!
    I completely disagree, users should be provided with a safe interface not only from vendors but service providers as well. Users must be able to just use... when you attach strings your cripple the reach of the system and delay the removal of legacy systems. All of this increases costs and decreases the new products/services development resources.

cheers,

catch

It's 10:00pm and past my bedtime.... I'll address the "on-topic" issues I see tomorrow..... If that's ok with you chaps....

PS: Hi Catch... Nice to see you still around....

I completely disagree, users should be provided with a safe interface not only from vendors but service providers as well. Users must be able to just use... when you attach strings your cripple the reach of the system and delay the removal of legacy systems. All of this increases costs and decreases the new products/services development resources.
    I guess I should have labelled that requirement as "4" - bell and whistle... Thanks Catch.

So what is your plan for education from this point forward??? Instruct your users to VPN into work and surf their email? Instruct them to purchase a router at home and VPN into that whenever they want to surf the web?
    Tut, tut, tut Spyrus.... You were short on your lateral thinking powers yesterday huh? Tor and Privoxy sprang to mind immediately.... Googling "encrypted proxy software" gets me so many hits it not worth mentioning including some free stuff that doesn't even require software installation..... The issue was "What information is passed in clear that could be of harm to a user". The solution is either don't use any wireless device unless you are competent with it or provide the encryption yourself with the minimum of effort and/or cost.

Those are the two options I will be giving my users.

users should be provided with a safe interface not only from vendors but service providers as well
    Absolutely Catch, absolutely.... Damn, how hard would it be to create an encryption key for each connection to Wireless Oakland that is based on, let's say, the date + the version of the browser + the volume serial number of the primary drive of the connecting machine. Now, before you all tell me how trivial that is to break hush up..... We aren't trying to stop the u|33r 1337 here, we are trying to stop the pervert across the street from seeing when and where your 15 year old daughter is meeting her friends, we are trying to stop the gossip next door from seeing that you are having a cyber affair with a woman named hot4yourbod..... Any form of encryption, regardless of it's trivial nature will keep the vast majority of people out of others business. Hell, most people out there would give up if you just do a single character shift encryption because it will look too complicated.....

This stuff isn't rocket science.... The problem is that the politicians aren't even close to being rocket scientists...