Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XP SP2 Firewall

hii
    tell me something about XP SP2 enterprise edition, ihave one version but how to check that it is enerprise or not

Right click my computer (either on desktop or on the start menu)

choose properties

Read
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Just use the domain profile in group policy, ding-dongs. (Basically what catch was saying) The domain profile is active when the machine is in contact with the domain, otherwise the local profile is used. Someone already posted the reg keys.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Alright, no one flame me here...Im not a big M$ fan, by any means...However, their ICF firewall really is a decent product, and perfectly suited to home users and can be a great compliment to "host based" defences inside a LAN. The only major drawbacks, are that it doesnt filter outbound connections, and doesnt do a very good job logging.

As far as concerns disabling the firewall over the network, and those of you that say it must be done locally on each machine or by script...What about NETSH?

Just install an SSH Shell (OpenSSH for Windows)
    Issue the command NETSH SET OPMODE DISABLE (I believe)
    We are a generation without a middle. We have no great war or depression. Our war is a spiritual one, our depression is our lives. We were all raised to believe that we\'ll all be millionaires and rockstars - But we won\'t.
    And we are slowly learning this fact...And we are VERY pissed off about it!

Thank you to everyone who responded...

Just use the domain profile in group policy, ding-dongs. (Basically what catch was saying) The domain profile is active when the machine is in contact with the domain, otherwise the local profile is used. Someone already posted the reg keys.
    I was able to turn the Firewall off in the Domain Policy in the Group Policy Management Console. Thanks again.

May I ask you a question? In your environment, who creates the overall policies? Do the admins create the policies or just merely enforce them?

May I ask you a question? In your environment, who creates the overall policies? Do the admins create the policies or just merely enforce them?
    Our environment is a unique one. I work in a private k-8 school that is also a part of a Congregation. There are three members of the IT Staff (IT director, IT manager, Sys. Admin/Net. Admin - that's me). The IT director is responsible for merging technology into the curriculum and is not as technically savvy as myself and the IT manager. The IT manager has worked here for 20 some years and knows the environment very well (although is very technically savvy his education is Accounting and his experience mostly Novell (server/authentication). I've been working here about 3 years and have a wider range of technical knowledge (bachelors in Business Info Systems - minor in econ - with experience in coding/win and Linux network environments..etc....finishing masters in Advanced info systems. To get to the point… since we have such a mix of knowledge and experience (and responsibilities) we collectively make decisions and usually I (or the IT Manager) implement them.

Hope that answers you question...sorry for the rambling...