ID Theft Problem...HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID Theft Problem...HELP!

ID Theft Problem...HELP!

I'm a newbie in search for only one piece of info from any of you fine folks willing to help me out. Victim of ID theft, yadda yadda. The kicker is, I live in a town ruled by Barney Fyfe. Small town, no resources. The detective gave me the IP address of the person who is responsible.

I have asked internet carrier (the owner of the IP address) for any info regarding personal identification of who this person is. No word for two weeks.

I have an IP address, I just need a face to go with it. They have ALL personal info on me.

Does anybody have any idea how I can get this info ANY other way?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE respond with any ideas....

Thanks so much

The detective gave me the IP address of the person who is responsible.
    So why weren't they arrested................it is a criminal offence?

I have asked internet carrier (the owner of the IP address) for any info regarding personal identification of who this person is. No word for two weeks.
    And you won't.................they would, I hope only give that information to an accredited representative of a law enforcement agency.

Anyway, an IP address is notoriously unreliable. Many of them are dynamic, and it is pretty difficult to prove who was actually using the computer at the time.

How do you know when it happened?

I have an IP address, I just need a face to go with it. They have ALL personal info on me.
    First part: why? second part: how do you know?

Why is it I smell social engineering here?......................don't feed the Trolls folks

Just Another Geek

Re: ID Theft Problem...HELP!

Originally posted here by Newbie25
    Victim of ID theft, yadda yadda.
    How did you find out?

The detective gave me the IP address of the person who is responsible.
    Why would he do that? How did he find it?

Not sure about the laws over there but in my country this information is protected by privacylaws.

If you believe LEA is incompetent go to the Feds...
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I for one am not buying this..

Either come up with some more info..

Or don't bother coming back at all..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

How did I find out? I started receiving receipts for things I didn't purchase. The accounts were set up that included my true mailing address, email address, phone number (cell) and last 4 digits of my social.

How did (the police detective) get the info?
    An affidavit has been signed, the companies in which the order was placed gave the IP address to the detective. I didn't expect that the detective would actually tell it to me.

The address is owned by Bellsouth. They are "backed up for months" on similar cases.

I received an email receipt as soon as the order was purchased online. That is how I know the time and date the order was placed. Therefore, I hope, that someone at Bellsouth could determine who was assigned the IP address at that time.

I'm not asking Bellsouth to give the info to me....just to the detective I'm working with. He is doing the same. The process of even getting this far has been taking over 3 months.

Any other questions?
    Whatever a troll is....I'm not one.

But I don't understand why everyone is being kinda mean about it

It's Friday! Weekend's a comin'. Everyone should be happy...

I'm just here asking for advise.

If there isn't a way, just tell me and we will keep hounding Bellsouth about it. My credit score is plummiting as we speak

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    These purchases, what were the deliver addresses? Have you given those to the detective?

And have you informed you banks, credit card companies etc that your details are being used?

Get a new account(s) & card(s).

Doing so will stop these fraudulent purchases.

Once this is done stop worrying & let the poilice do their job.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

The purchases were only done this one time....it is just not good that someone has all this info on me.

All delivery info was also sent to the police. The accounts have been frozen. Credit card companies and banks informed.

This person has found out other info (like the name of my dog), and used it as passwords to open online accounts such as bill-me-later.com

This is only one harrassing thing this person has done.

I hope this clears up the reason I want to find out this info a little faster.

Thanks, Steve

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Newbie25
    But I don't understand why everyone is being kinda mean about it
    Because your story sounds fishy (See my post above). If this were happening to me I would have contatced my card issuer & the problem would have stopped & I wouln't be liable for the payment.

Also, it's none of your business who the face behind that IP is.

That's a matter for the police, so let them get on with it.

If this is a genuine plea, relax.

Some bar steward has got your details (probobly from your trash). Stop the problem bothering you and don't take it personally, the person with your details isn't. To them your details are just another brief income stream, no doubt along with many others.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Sorry, this is NOT the only thing this person has done ....typo's suck.