Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ID Theft Problem...HELP!

This is someone I know, or at least who REALLY knows me.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Newbie25
    This is only one harrassing thing this person has done.
    So, there are other things.

Are you saying this a personal vendetta?

As I said to someone not so long ago, ask yourself 'Why' this is being done.

This will then give you a list of possible 'Who'

Go to the police with the list of 'Who' this might be.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Thanks anyway, guys. I'm assuming we can't get info but from the owner of the IP address....just thought that if anyone knew, you would....

have a good weekend...gotta get back to work now, but i'll check back in case anyone has any ideas.

Yes I have a few more questions:

1. Have you been delivered anything that you did not order?
    2. What was ordered?
    3. How many times has this happened?
    4. No-one gives credit over the Net so what credit card number was used, or paypal account or whatever?
    5. Have the authorities made a back-up of your hard drive?
    6. What measures have you taken to secure your computer?

1. Have you been delivered anything that you did not order?
    Yes.

2. What was ordered?
    Items my size, but not in my taste. That is all I will say.

3. How many times has this happened?
    Once.

4. No-one gives credit over the Net so what credit card number was used, or paypal account or whatever?
    Yes, there is a company that does that...Bill-Me-Later.com You can set up this credit account, all you need is a name, and their social security number.

5. Have the authorities made a back-up of your hard drive?
    Why would they make a back-up of my hard drive? None of this happened from my computer.

6. What measures have you taken to secure your computer?
    The only computer I use is at work...it has with a nasty firewall.

This person knows me. that is how my information was obtained...not through the internet. But thanks anyway for trying to help out.

Hi Newbie25 firstly, have a good week-end.

I think that we now have all the information that you have regarding this unfortunate incident

I will explain that we do get a number of requests on how to hack, etc. so members tend to be a little cautious or even cynical to begin with.

It is probably a bit like filing your first tax return, a bit daunting at first?

I am glad that this was not done via your computer, as that would raise a lot of security issues. That was why I asked about the hard drive copy..............pretty much essential to get a conviction if it was based on infiltration of your computer.

Yes, it will require the co-operation of the ISP (Bellsouth) to get the details, and they will only give that to law enforcement agencies.

If the goods were sent to you then the delivery address is irrelevant, this is a personal attack rather than a straight fraud situation.

Items my size, but not in my taste. That is all I will say.

I don't need you to say anymore, I have a quite vivid imagination

OK, your attacker is probably female and certainly knows you well. It has to be someone who has fallen out with you quite recently.

I do not want to discuss anything remotely personal so please feel free to PM me if you want to.

Good luck

In all cases of suspected identity theft, the US victim's first stop should be to:

http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

for valid information. Then immediately go to the credit reporting companies and submit fraud alert claims on the accounts.

As stated earlier, there really isn't a solid way to track the IP if it is a dynamically assigned one, and it is probably the IP of a router or NAT server at BellSouth, anyway.

If you have followed the recommended steps from the FTC and local law enforcement, you should let the system roll as best you can. Taking your own steps will only get you into serious trouble.