Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mounting hell

If it makes it any differnt its a laptop, which I dont have much experience with but i think thats still ide?

Well ill try to mount those

yes /mnt/cdrom does exist

I wasnt sure how to make the link exactly

am I actually supposd to enter this?
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 2005-10-24 11:35 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
    I thought it was just what yours showed but its in code...

ill check is /dev/cdrom exists and try
    Code:
    -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom
    Did someone piss in the gene pool?

Originally posted here by rcgreen
    A block device is a drive. To mount a drive, you mount the block device file
    that represents that drive. The device files are all located in the /dev directory.
    Obviously, you only need to concern yourself with the ones that correspond
    to equipment you have installed.

• /dev/hda is the primary master ide drive
    • /dev/hdb is the primary slave
    • /dev/hdc is the secondary master
    • /dev/hdd is the secondary slave

I think you are getting confused between /mnt/cdrom and /dev/cdrom. I will explain tyhe difference.

/mnt/cdrom will normally be an empty directory on your hard drive, not a device file. When you mount a CD, its contents will appear in the /mnt/cdrom directory (in most cases).

/dev/cdrom is a symbolic link, usually to the actual device file that represents your cdrom drive, as rcgreen explained above. Check what file the /dev/cdrom links points to. That will tell you what device your CD drive asctually is. Try
    Code:
     ls -l /dev/cdrom
    Now, assuming that /dev/cdrom (NOT /mnt/cdrom) it points to a valid device file which represents your CD drive, you can mount it with the following command:
    Code:
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    This will look at the device which the /dev/cdrom (NOT /mnt/cdrom) file points to (in my case, /dev/hdc), and then mount the device represented by that file into the /mnt/cdrom directory. If this does not work, then more than likely the /dev/cdrom link does not point to the right device file. You will need to figure out on which IDE channel your CD drive resides, whether it is master or slave, and refer back to rcgreen's list.

Next, delete the /dev/cdrom link, and replace it with the following command:
    Code:
    ln -s [proper CD device file] /dev/cdrom
    You will now have a valid /dev/cdrom (NOT /mnt/cdrom) link pointing to the device file representing your CD drive, and should be able to mount it with the mount command that I gave eariler. Once that works, then you can put the necessary entries into the /etc/fstab file. But for now, ignore that file. It's just adding one more step to an already complicated problem for you.

Hope that helps...
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Again thanks all for help now...

I did
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/cdrom
    and it came back
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx l root root (date) (time) /dev/cdrom -> /mnt/cdrom
    And this looked right (?)

so I went to /mnt/cdrom and a weird thing happened
    /mnt/cdrom had a directory called cdrom, and that directory had a directory called cdrom and on and on... i went 'cd cdrom' a dozen times before giving up

whats going on?
    So I did a
    Code:
    mount
    and it didnt show the cdrom at all :/
    I tried to
    Code:
    mount cdrom
    and
    Code:
    and still got the 'not a block device'

I did

Code:
    ls -l /dev/cdrom
    and it came back

Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx l root root (date) (time) /dev/cdrom -> /mnt/cdrom
    And this looked right (?)
    No, that is not right. The /dev/cdrom link is pointing to the /mnt/cdrom directory. /mnt/cdrom is a directory and NOT a device file. You need /dev/cdrom to point to a valid device file, which in turn will represent your CD drive. What has happened is that you have made this link, and pointed it to the mount point of your CD drive (/mnt/cdrom) instead of the CD device.

The /dev/cdrom device should be pointing to a DEVICE, not a directory. This will be something like /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, /dev.hdc, or /dev/hdd, depending on which channel the CD drive is attached to. You are getting the "not a block device" error because the /dev/cdrom link is pointing to /mnt/cdrom, which is a directory, NOT a device. Delete the /dev/cdrom link. It is useless to you the way it is.

Then, try mounting the CD manually, but instead of giving the /dev/cdrom as the device, try /dev/hdc or something similar. So your mount command would look like this:
    Code:
     mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
    Try this for /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, and /dev/hdd; one of them is likely your CD drive. /dev/hda is more than likely your primary hard drive.

Now, as for there being a cdrom directory in the /mnt/cdrom directory, this is actually a symbolic link which points back to /mnt/cdrom. Basically, /mnt/cdrom/cdrom is an alias fo /mnt/cdrom. This will continue to infinity. Just delete that file. You most likely created it in error somehow.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Ah ok

I think I get it now Ill go try those

Thanks

arg

ok for a bad start I cant delete cdrom (even after using the ignore if not empty command)
    it doesnt go away im going to have to change that other thing I changed
    So I made a /mnt/cd dir to use

Code:
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cd
    Gave me a message about it being write protected so I assume this is the linux partition all the other ones hdb hdc and hdd all returned the 'not a block device'

Well since CD's are not writeable, every time you mount them you will get that error. You have found the CD device.

Now, navigate to your /dev directory and create a link to make this easier in the future, with the following command:
    Code:
     ln -s hdc cdrom
    Now you will be able to mount your cd drive with
    Code:
    Finally, add the following line to your /etc/fstab file:
    Code:
    /dev/cdrom       /mnt/cdrom       auto        noauto,user,ro   0   0
    And you should then be able to mount the CD drive with just "mount /mnt/cdrom"

ok...

went to /dev
    Code:
    ln -s hdc cdrom
    seemed to work fine...

Code:
    said /dev/cdrom was not a block device...

went into /dev/cdrom and there was a cdrom dir and a hdc dir... again some messed up looping thing but this time with an error... something like to many links...

I think I screwed up at first.. im going to reinstall phlak completley and try again...

tomorow morning though... im falling asleep on the keyboard here...

thanks for the help everyone... hopefully formatting will fix whatever I stuffed up in the first place :s

yes!

Thanks everyone I reformated and installed it again, getting rid of the wrong link id'd made. Now it works fine and I got it working

thanks again