Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sdram + Ddr??

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    GPU [video] is a self contained processor
    as is the CPU

they both access the RAM at various times, but it is the same block of RAM
    you don't get GPU RAM and CPU RAM

Try and buy a single stick of 512MB RAM that is comp[atible with the RAM you have now

OR

get two MATCHED sticks of 256MB
    it really doesn't make that much difference to performance,the single or double path, BUT, it does make a difference ...[ you shouldn't mix 'n' match the RAM sticks, use them as matched pairs or a single]

use your existing RAM as the start of your spare part box
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

uh?? I'm confused..what I meant was the video card I want is DDR RAM, my computer uses SDRAM..does that matter?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

No, your video card is independent of your main memory (RAM).

Actually, the RAM will give you a better performance boost than a fancy video card unless you have integrated video.

My XP box gets up to around 360Mb without doing anything special. Sure it will work with less, but performance isn't that good.

to clarify

video cards are a seperate entity, they are fitted to allow you to make use of the graphical ability available today, they slot into either the PCI or AGP slot in the Mo/Bo.

they are NOT DDR nor SDR they are Graphics Processing Units [GPU]

RAM is the memory in use in the PC, it is found in its own memory slots on the Mo/Bo
    types include Synchronous Data Rate [SDR] and Double Data Rate [DDR] which as the name implies allows the data to be 'manipulated' twice as fast.

However, as nihil has pointed out, for maximum gain v minimum outlay, upping the RAM is the way to go, if you have insufficient RAM, the GPU will be able to process data FASTER than the CPU can cope = Sloooooooow dooooooown ....

forget the GPU, get a decent amount of RAM. THEN consider the GPU.
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

foxy,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

If you notice there, they have DDR Video Cards and SDRAM video cards (you have to really look for SDRAMs, not many), hence the reason for my question.

Also you forgot PCIe
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Yes, the SDR cards are basically obsolete these days. The DDR ones will work just fine.

Also you forgot PCIe
    types include

the link goes to PCI GPU's [old]

AGP is the one to have [I know they're developing exotica nowadays, but for the sake of THIS argument ]
    I still say get the RAM sorted first ....... it WILL make an improvement
    you do need a GPU to run the top end games of today, but I don't think that your box is going to be up to that level for a while [ evidenced by your link to PCI GPU's]

try and smooooose father christmas you never know.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I guess I missed this thread, or meant to post to it but forgot...

Anyway, DDR is SDRAM, it's basically next generation to plain sdram, I think some people might be getting confused and putting SDRAM in the SIMM category, when in fact SDRAM is in the DIMM category, and DDR-SDRAM is what DDR is... But like what some have said, You can't mix old plain SDRAM with DDR-SDRAM...

Because of this reason (ddr being a newer SDRAM) That is why you will see in computer advertisements 512mb DDR-SDRAM (for example). Or maybe you all new that and I am overthinking this whole situation lol...

BTW, sorry for bringing up a dead thread but I felt I needed to clarify things
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools