One day a customer brought his computer in, complaining about a problem.

* Customer: "My computer has been acting strange. I'm afraid it might be a virus."
* Tech Support: "Have you been downloading a lot of software?"
* Customer: "Mostly I just download pictures. I think I may have got it from there."
* Tech Support: "Not likely. Where are you downloading pictures from?"
* Customer: "Different channels. Mostly from my favorite show on NBC."

Puzzled, I looked at the back of his computer and discovered he had a video capture card.

* Tech Support: "You mean from your TV?"
* Customer: "Yes."
* Tech Support: "Probably not the source of any virus."

I checked his computer out, fixed his problem, and he left. Needless to say the other techs and I had a good laugh about that new NBC virus that was being broadcast to people with video capture cards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: "I need you to tell me what browser I am using. Is it Netscape 2.0? The reason I need to know is that I have read that Netscape 2.0 distributes a virus called Java."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

overheard two men talking in a restaurant.

* First Man: "My laptop is running so slow and crashes all the time. I'm going to take it to the shop to check it for viruses."
* Second Man: "I don't worry about viruses. Not many people know that viruses work in the back of the memory, and Windows is in the front of the memory. So it's something else."

Hmm. I didn't know that either.

One day a girl at school told me that her father's laptop had a virus.

* Me: "Well, did anyone put a disk in that might have had a virus on it?"
* Her: "No, all our disks are clean. But is it possible to get a virus because I plugged it into a different plug than at our house?"