Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony: Rootkit remover opens big hole!

Sony: Rootkit remover opens big hole!

It just keeps getting worse and worse for Sony.
    The rootkit enabled virus writers and game cheaters to hide there programs, now by using Sony's removal tool you have opened up a huge hole that can be easily attacked through Active-X

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger -- Friedrich Nietzche

Well, I should point to SONY and say, "Hey, folks, what do you expect? These are the same guys that brought you this poorly designed, badly implemented rootkit masquerading as DRM. Do you REALLY think they will provide a reliable, trustworthy method of removing it? Hmmm? Do ya?"

But I won't. No, don't push me! I mean it, I won't.

BIOS Bomber
    maybe its time to start boy cotting them. i mean damn man these guys have the money to just say screw you and stuff. just boy cott them. thats the only power america has left against big companies
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    What would be the outcome if Joe Bloggs in the street did this?

The same should happen to the Sony exec that signed off on this.

From the people who brought you Pearl Harbour and the Burmah Railway?

Why bother with Sonys rookit removal software? I've read that people are exchanging multiple e-mails with them because of problems they are having but it's wasted energy people should reformat their computer from scratch with the Windows cdrom the rookit disaster is a good example why many experts stress time and again the importance of making system backups so if the computer ever gets hosed or infected with something nasty and it's tough as hell to remove just fire up Acronis or Norton Ghost and copy Windows from the usb external drive or a second internal drive and save hours of work.

The people most affected by this aren't the techies who have access to those tools or understand the need for them. They are the average non-techie user who just trusts big corporations like SONY to treat them respectfully and with dignity. They are the ones that are going to be hurt the most from this.

Oversimplified solutions such as that suggested by Leonore aren't very realistic. In a perfect world, we'd all have backups and know what to do in these cases. It ain't a perfect world.

What will be needed in the next few weeks or months is a kind, compassionate and understanding techie community that is willing to help the regular folks out.

THEN, we'll take SONY down!

For those interested in the removal instructions, this article explains it in good detail.

Rootkit Removal

A lot of the spyware removal forums are being deluged with users, suddenly concerned with this problem. (Thanks to the media)

These instructions aren't for the real novices either,as it involves tunneling down to the registry and deleting keys, so when they are trying to do this on their own, even with clear cut instructions, they are going to make mistakes.

So backing up is the thing to do.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

i was reading the other night that microsoft will relise the ... software for removing sonny rotkit ... so is that this tool ? that they did relise and opens up a hole

each day more problems
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of

Does anyone know if the removal tool that Symantec has for the Sony/DRM rootkit actually removes it totally from a system and/or does it still leave the computer vulnerable. I ran across this problem at work; Symantec AV detected the DRM software as spyware and quarantined it, it was suggested that it be removed and so we used the Symantec removal tool, I'm just wondering how good it is, given the problems I've heard people have after trying to remove this rootkit.