Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apparently I'm an IDIOT

another idea

If you have a decent internet connection you might want to try an on-line virus scanner. Symantec does this and I believe McAfee does but I don't remember.

Go to Symantec AV center

Click on the Symantec Security Check at the lower middle of the page.

A pop up window will ask you to be sure you really want to do this. There is a Go button on the screen in yellow you will need to hit.

After hitting go another pop up will ask you if you want to do a security scan or virus detection.

Just click on virus detection and let it run from there.

***Warning***
    this process is very slow.

Hopefully this will help.
    Falcis

Hi

First you might want to run a couple of online scans which may help get rid of the trojans/worms you ended up getting thanks to Kazaa.

Panda
    Trend Micro Housecall

Kazaa Removal instructions

Like everyone else has mentioned, run your scans in "Safe Mode" and make sure you have all of the definitions for your AV as well as your OS (Windows security patches).

Good idea to get Spywareblaster/Spywareguard

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Good advice from everyone,

Remember to only have 1 antivirus on your machine at any time.
    So if you're going to put on AVG remember to uninstall McAfee first.

I've seen Kazaa screw a lot of machines beyond reasonable repair (requiring a reformat) so if you have important info on your machine back it up before you go too far. And scan your backups if you think you have a virus.

I don't know if kazaa itself is really to blame. Actually any file-sharing program
    comes with some risks. I got a "p2p" virus once when I wasn't even using p2p.
    The virus attempted to spread by putting infected files in every folder
    that included the word "share" or "shared" in its name, on the assumption that
    those folders might be shared via p2p.

The real danger is when you download and run a lot of software from p2p.
    Unfortunately, some people like to share evil stuff.

One of the things you can do if you are curious, is check the names of any
    newly arrived files that look suspicious. New arrivals in the windows folder
    with [b].EXE or .DLL extensions would excite my curiousity. Enter their
    names into a Google search, and you'll learn a lot about them.

The standard procedure is, as others have said, to run an antivirus scan.
    Hopefully, you already had the antivirus program installed and up to date.
    Some antivirus software won't install on an infected system, and for good reasons.

When all else fails, you live and learn. Format the hard drive and reinstall windows
    Again I want to emphasize, it's not file sharing that's the problem so much
    as running questionable software, like pirated versions of popular, and expensive
    programs.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Hey Aspman,

You mentioned not running two AV programs on the same machine. While I understand that it would eat up your resources for no good reason is there any other reason that this would be bad? I just have not heard anything about this before.

Falcis

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    While I understand that it would eat up your resources for no good reason is there any other reason that this would be bad?
    Sometimes some AVs (at least historically) will fight each other. Not really a good thing.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

From what I hear at other forums, if you must or like to use two AV's, at least disable one of their Active Scans,(real time monitoring) as these will conflict with each other, depending on their definitions.

A good idea is to keep the AV with the better active detection (real time monitoring) options running and use the other for manual scans.

They will hog resources in active mode.

I don't know if kazaa itself is really to blame
    one of the things Kazaa liked to drop is ALTNET and Dashboard two very hard registry entries to get rid of.

Altnet Description
    Altnet may launch targeted advertisements, and may track your web browsing habits and report your personal information to a central ad server. This adware is usually co-installed on computers through file-sharing programs.

Altnet Removal Instructions

Before you delete it, it must have it permission changed:

Open the registry (Start->Run->regedit) and select the keys

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Altnet]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Altnet\\Dashboard]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\App Management\\ARPCache\\AltnetDM]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs]
    \"C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Altnet\msvcirt.dll\"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-14627781-1401277002-153983898-1006\Software\Microsoft\\Search Assistant\ACMru\5603]
    \"000\"=\"altnet\"
    [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-14627781-1401277002-153983898-1006\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\MenuOrder\\Start Menu2\Programs\Altnet]

Start with the top folder which is Altnet and work down and follow these instruction to change the permission for all folders.

Right click on Altnet then click on permission, click on add, click on advanced, click on find now, and look for your log on name and click on okay twice to get back to permissions for Altnet. Now, put a check mark in the boxes for allow after click on advanced, click on the tab for owner and highligt your log under \'change owner to\' and check the box that say\'s : \'Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects\\' and click on ok, click on apply and click ok. Continue the same for the rest of the folders listed.

After the changing the permission, end the ?Altnet? process from the Task Manager (ctrl-alt-delete). Having successfully done this you should be able to delete the entire ?Altnet? folder.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson