Thread: Sometimes patience isn't a virtue

Sometimes patience isn't a virtue

Power hit destroys a hard disk on a file server that this pilot fish is responsible for, and he cleans up the mess as best he can.

"I figured out what I lost, and I restored the lost home directories of the affected users," says fish. "There were also home directories of users who had long since left the company, so I decided not to restore them.

"Unfortunately, I didn't have a list of active and inactive accounts, so it was not possible to know which ones to restore and which ones to forget about."

Two weeks pass, things are back to normal, and fish is working in the server room one day when he notices an unfamiliar face at the window in the server-room door.

He beckons to fish, who opens the door to talk with him.

"Did you fix it?" he asks fish.

"Fix what?"

"I haven't been able to log in for two weeks," stranger tells fish.

"How was I supposed to know that if he didn't notify me?" grumbles baffled fish. "How long did he think it was going to take me to notice? I guess it's fortunate he didn't wait for four weeks.

"I then restored his lost files."
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Are these stories based on stuff that has really happened to you or just stuff you hear about? im just curious....
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

http://www.computerworld.com/managem...101583,00.html

it comes from here

thank you Black... keep them coming
    UNIX IS user friendly, it\'s just very choosy about who it calls a friend.

Originally posted here by The Texan
    Are these stories based on stuff that has really happened to you or just stuff you hear about? im just curious....
    Nope, they are from the website that Kosmograd posted previously, I like the Shark Tank series. They are funny as hell and real tales.

Not all my posts are from one source, sometimes I get them via email or friends!

By the way, I think someone did ask me what does Pilot fish mean!

Q: What’s a pilot fish?

A: There are two answers to that question. One is the Mother Nature version: Pilot fish are small fish that swim just ahead of sharks. When the shark changes direction, so do the pilot fish. When you watch underwater video of it, it looks like the idea to change direction occurred simultaneously to shark and pilot fish.

Thing is, sharks go pretty much anywhere they want, eating pretty much whatever they want. They lunge and tear and snatch, but in so doing, leave plenty of smorgasbord for the nimble pilot fish.

The IT version: A pilot fish is one of the workers. Not a honcho, not a shark.

The tricks for both kinds of pilot fish are finding a shark they can live with and staying out of range of its teeth. And to always stay alert and away from those tooth-packed jaws. A moment’s inattention could end the pilot fish's career.

That's life at the reef.
    Shark FAQ
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    ok lol thanx for clearing up my confusion and btw they are funny stories.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted