Thread: Tomcat Installation == rocket science?

Tomcat Installation == rocket science?

In hopes of eventually installing JForum software, I've been struggling with the installation of the apache Tomcat server. Whille there is available documentation on the Internet, most of it assumes knowledge of the java environment. I've been using the walk-through available at http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue69/peda.html, however I'm puzzled as to how to get the latest version of ant to install. The script it refers to is MIA. I'd appreciate any information that can be provided about ant or help getting Jforum up and running.

--rasem

Elite Hacker
    I've never installed Tomcat, but that site seems to be very old. Perhaps you should look for a more recent guide? Steps might have changed since that guide was made.

I figured out how to get it all working. It was simple once I found some updated instructions. It was annoying that they didn't have a binary for SuSE available and several of the tarballs on apache's mirror list were corrupted. The neat quick-start guide I used is available at http://www.linux-sxs.org/internet_serving/book1.html. In his introduction he made a good point about Linux programs vs. Microsoft programs. Quick start gudes are often absent from Linux products. All that apache provided was documentation of the product. If I would have relied on that it would have taken an extra week to figure out how everything worked. I hate to complain about learning, but in a working environment, you've got to get things running and learn as you go sometimes. Anywho, anyone looking for a guide, look no furthur.

--rasem