Thread: $100 Child's laptop

$100 Child's laptop

Even though this isn't yet a product...as someone with kids looking for an inexpensive computer for kids...I think this is a great idea...

http://laptop.media.mit.edu/laptop-images.html
    MIT Media Lab: $100 Laptop Images

Hey Hey,

Definately an innovated product (especially the handcrank to charge it... iwth all the hand crank flashlights and radios I'm surprised there isn't a hand crank laptop)....

However it looks like it's for children in developing nations... I wonder if a company will pick it up and market it... and if they do... will the price go up?

Anyways.. interesting link.

Peace,
    HT

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    http://michaelrobertson.com/archive.php?minute_id=170

Some interesting points by this guy on why a $100 will not be wanted by those in developing nations.

Hey Hey,

I'd have to say that I find Michael Robertson's comments rather pompous and arrogant.. It sounds like he's pissed off that he didn't think of it first.

To insist that a person who's never had a computer before would require a minimum of 800Mhz, 256MB RAM and a 10GB HDD is pushing the limits by quite a bit..

Both my sisters (12 and 21) have 350Mhz PCs and would love that $100 laptop... However, the one they have works just fine for them.. They've got high speed, they can surf the net, talk to friends on msn, type reports for school, play little time occupying games... The only reason that computer specs are as high as they are is for the Business World and for gamers/geeks who have a 'Need for Speed'. If someone's got a computer running linux without the need for bloated apps like Microsoft office (which is really bloated IMHO)... then they aren't going to need a lot of disc space... These aren't people who need to be downloading Movies and MP3s or storing massive databases... these are beginner introduction laptops.

I'd also like to know where exactly it was that people didn't have running water but had computers... many of these places without running water also lack electricity, others have to severely limit their power consumption (leading me to believe a computer wouldn't be high on their list)... Their meat is rotting without proper refrigeration yet they have a computer in the corner playing the latest Britney Spears song.... I don't see that being very likely.

That's why I like this $100 laptop... the hand crank for individual power generation is a great concept.. No need to consume power.. just crank your hand..

Anyways, I'd take what Michael Robertson is saying with a whole shaker of salt... I know I am.

Peace,
    HT