Windows dual boot

Thread: Windows dual boot

Windows install.

Hey all, Ive recently installed linux on my primary hard drive, and i recently got another out of a friends old computer, so my question is , do i just put in my old system restore cd's to installw indows xp on that hard drive? Can someone please walk me through the steps. Thank you in advance. tyl0rd .
    Becoming a hacker is as easy as highlighting \"show hidden files\".

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Your gonna have to format, erase the Linux then reinstall windows Xp and you should be good to go
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

The Recidivist
    Texan, he was referring to the the new hd he got from his friend.

tyl0rd - Some of those recovery disk looking for a hidden partition on the orginal hd to verify its not being installed to a diff hd. I have had this problem before and it resulted in me calling up the company and them sending me a separate disk to create the partition to allow the recovery disk to work.

I haven't ever had a dual boot on diff hd's so I am not sure on the boot loader config. I think I even did a dual hd once and actually had to manually connect and reconnect the hd's depending on which I wanted to boot.

You don't want to do this.

I am sure someone else could help you further but this should get you started. If your disk allows you to re-install windows then just pop it in a install. I believe though that win should be on hda and linux on hdb.

I would use the search function and search for the user gore and read through some of his tuts. He has done some extensive installations and wrote very precise and indepth tutorials on linux and I ams ure he has one on dualbooting somewhere.

Also hit the irc chan of your distro. As long as your asking intelligent questions and its not something that is found easily with it the manual, they should help you.

Good luck!
    Ry

btw When I say Windows on hda and linux on hdb I mean that the Windows hd should be on the primary hd and linux on the slave or second slot.

Post any further questions here and I will check back.
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

The Recidivist
    Okay, so some **** came to me after I posted. What distro do you have installed of linux (if you know the bootloader then just tell me that)?

When you re-install win then just pop the cd in and when it starts to install it should ask which hd to install to. Just direct it to the new hd and install.

I can also help you config your boot loader but need to know if you using either grub or lilo.

Unless your passing a lot of kernel options on boot then I recommend lilo.

Ry
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche