Thread: NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS - blue screen error

Question NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS - blue screen error

Hope someone can help. Here’s the story so far. (I use Windows XP)

Mr computer has the blue screen message NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS.

I hadn’t installed any new hardware. I tried System Restore which did nothing and and can only boot up into safe mode. Could it have been caused by a virus ? My Virus shield has been disabled (my subscription expired, and although the computer wasn’t connected to the internet I am wondering whether or viruses held in quarantine may have escaped when the virus shield stopped ?).

Anyway, I have looked into this (and as suggested) and gone into the registry to increase the stack locations, there weren’t any that I could see when I went into the registry, so I had to create them. This had not effect.

I then decided to do a repair installation of Windows XP. However, when I tried to do this, after the files had loaded from the CD, I had the message, “Set up did not find any Hard Drives installed on your computer”. I know the Hard Drive is connected as I can see all the files fine in Safe Mode.

Also when I boot up the only drives I can see are the floppy drive, DVD Drive and FT TX Ary1. Not sure what the last one is ? Should I see the Hard Drive when I boot up and could this be part of the problem ?

There has been a previous post http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windo...ur-system.html by tyleryoungblood about this but I am not sure whether I should try this bearing in mind what my initial error message was.

I decided to buy a External Hard Drive to copy my files across before doing a clean install of window, however, the computer could not see the HD when I plugged it into the USB port.

Any help would be much appreciated. I’ve gone as far as I can on my own.

Thanks

AOs Resident Troll
    What I do in this situation is remove the harddrive and slave it into another machine....pull the data.

Could you have filled it up...????

The blue screens may have started because of the hardrive starting to fail...

Power the computer off...let it sit for awhile power back on....

Does the BIOS see the hardrive???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Has the original Hard-Drive jumper set to Master?
    Have you checked for a loose connection in motherboard. {Make sure computer is switched off before removing computer casing}.

When the computer boots up and it shows the hardware like Cdrom etc etc, it should show the hard drive also.

Maybe go into the Bios menu and see if the hard drive is enabled.

all i can think of at the moment.

{Damn Morgan you were to quick for me.. }

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the physical connection between the HD and motherboeard, as I can access all the files in Safe Mode. I'll try the BIOS menu to see if I can see the HD. Not sure how to access the BIOS menu though ? Do I have to hit escape or delete when booting up ?

Not sure how to go about removing the HD and slaving it to another computer, might give it a try as a last resort. Is there is way, I can connect another computer through a usb port and retrieve dat that way ?

Anyone else have any ideas.

Thanks

AOs Resident Troll
    If you can see and run safe mode...then you have a bad driver or piece of software starting up in regular mode that is crashing the machine.

Have you scanned for a virus\spyware

Is the system stable in safe mode???

Have you reapplied service pack 2 and updates??

MLF

Have you tried to do a system restore from safe mode? You can roll back to the latest driver update, windows update, etc. and see if any of those caused the problem. More than likely... its going to be a driver problem since you can boot into safe mode just fine.

BTW: Is your hard drive a sata drive or scsi drive? The windows setup utility may not see the hard disk without loading the drivers for the sata or scsi controller first.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    If you can see and run safe mode...then you have a bad driver or piece of software starting up in regular mode that is crashing the machine.

Have you scanned for a virus\spyware

Is the system stable in safe mode???

Have you reapplied service pack 2 and updates??

MLF
    Yes, it all seems to work fine in safe mode, apart from not being able to use everything that has been disabled. Subscription ended on my Anti - virus so it doesn't work at all. Do yo know of any AV products I could download with definitions, burn onto a disc and then scan the computer. (cannot connect to network in safe mode)

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    Have you tried to do a system restore from safe mode? You can roll back to the latest driver update, windows update, etc. and see if any of those caused the problem. More than likely... its going to be a driver problem since you can boot into safe mode just fine.

BTW: Is your hard drive a sata drive or scsi drive? The windows setup utility may not see the hard disk without loading the drivers for the sata or scsi controller first.

Tried sytem restore, but would not let me ! Not sure what type of drive it is, I'll find out.

Thanks again

AOs Resident Troll
    Why cant you connect to the network in safe mode..???

Do you get an error???

There are plenty of online scanners .................... Avenge anti virus is free.

When you get the blue screen with the NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS message.

Have you logged on....are you doing something specific???

MLF

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I have had almost this exact error msg myself... My problem i THINK is a heat related issue. ( I have a dell and am somehow missing the green heatsink cover that goes over my cpu) so i tend to have heat problems... i bought an exhust fan and that has helped a little but i still randomly get the blue screen. you should check for heat/memory issues. I am getting an early xmas present on fri. so i dont have to worry about this POS anymore
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted