Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It only comes once a year, but damn!

********** |ceWriterguy

Exclamation It only comes once a year, but damn!

As I sat through the nth playing of 'Wizard of Oz' on TBS (Mrs |ce loves it, so I tolerate it) tonight, I noticed on the annoying little message box at the bottom of the screen that tomorrow night this same station will air the Dr Suess "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" tomorrow evening.

Now folks, it ain't even Thanksgiving yet here in the US. Isn't this a bit TOO early?

Naturally, I figured I'd charge in here and talk about how Christmas in the US is entirely too commercialized, how our ever-greedy businesses want the holiday shopping season to begin early to alleviate their otherwise stagnant or sagging profit margins. Then I remembered my drive home yesterday evening and noticing a person (one person in my town of just under 2000 people) who already had their Christmas tree up and decorations out and their entire house lit up beautifully.

Is it just me? Am I being the Grinch by saying "Not yet, it's too freaking early!" ?

What say you, good AO members? Am I out of my gourd, or are they fobbing the holiday season off on us entirely too soon this year? What's next year gonna look like? A holly jolly Halloween?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Banned
    Hey now... the Catholics were bitching about it a week ago already - and they should know when it's too early, right!

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/articl...TICLE_ID=47358

T3h Ch3F

Why Not?

I have a new idea for a movie, how bout "The Grizznich That Stoe Kwanza"?

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

********** |ceWriterguy
    ah yes! I suppose I should've posted for those more politically correct - so here goes a bit:

Happy Kwanzaa!
    Yes, it's Ramadan - party after sundown!
    Chappy Chanukah!

Hrm. what else? let's see...
    Joyeux Noel - nope, that's Christmas again...just French, and we all know they suck anyways...umm..hrm.

Fleaz Navidad - errr Feliz too. (sorry, old inside joke - and yah, that's Merry Christmas again).

Ah, here's one!

Blessed Yule!

Ok, I think that pretty much covers everybody - and it's still too damn early for any of it.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

and noticing a person (one person in my town of just under 2000 people) who already had their Christmas tree up and decorations out and their entire house lit up beautifully.
    Damn and i thought that my parent's were crazy, they've got everything done already, house all decorated got a snazy tree in the Ensuite, got all the fancy {Yet Expensive} lights on the house, inside and out..
    My ol' man even put this huge blow up santa {With Reindeers} on the front lawn.

So if you think that the stores are just being greedy for throwing this into your face, then i think that it might be having an effect on the older generation, cause i guess that they are just getting it all done now, for the GrandChildren.
    As my parents make a big fuss in having the GrandChildren about to help with the decoratin, so i guess it's something special that they share with them at this time of the year.

But still it seems each year they seem to be setting or buying things earlier and earlier with each year the goes on by..

{Sorry if i don't make much sense, but heck it's Sunday and i've drunk half a slab}

front2back.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Yes, i think its a lil crazy to start xmas this early... Its nov. in texas and still around 80 F or 26 C ( for you Canadians and everyone else who uses metric lol) so, its to hot for xmas to start now! it has become to commerialized i think... Some people have really lost track of what Christmas is all about. So, to you all "happy holidays" merry xmas, happy whatever lol i cant be politically correct at 3am. But since my whole rant is about xmas starting to early I guess I should say Happy Thanksgiving, which hasnt happened yet either lol.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    What's the official time to begin Xmas ??
    we have the twelve days OF - so we know when to take 'em all down, but to start ??

I will happily declare myself of the bah humbug school of Xmas
    never liked it much
    and it's only the last couple of years [out of the thirty I've worked] that I'm off anyway....

for me, it would have been better to have nipped all the bother in the bud a couple of hundred years ao

My little girl [4] already knows that it's us what buy the presents, and that the fat guy in a red suit is just bollox, so she has adjusted her requirments accordingly :

now she doesn't want the old style bits and pieces, she wants it ALL
    and she wants it NOW
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

My girls have already been given three Christmas presents...a air-hockey/combo sports table, watches, and head-set tape/radios

Good thing I opened the table...because 6 pieces were missing...had to call NY and have them shipped UPS...good news: table is set up and complete.

Already bought and gave presents to 7 other people...only the kids ( more presents ) and a couple others and I'm done shopping...like to get it over quick!

We don't stand on ceremony either...kids get stuff year round...open presents early...Christmas is very much secondary in their eyes to Halloween...one year I didn't even bother putting up the tree... ( I don't buy a lot of junk food...so...Halloween is their day to get what Dad doesn't buy )

Eg

All my friends who I actually give presents to are getting the same thing this year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

********** |ceWriterguy
    Eg, you and others like you make me ill. I won't start my shopping until after Thanksgiving, so I may be duly gouged by the retailers! (in truth, it's all done - started last may and all in storage. I shan't wrap 'em until after T-day though, and shan't give them away until Christmas Day. Patience is a virtue, and ugly goes clean to the bone.)