Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible to mount a flash drive in Linux/Unix?

You wear dyed shirts huh?
    No, I get my hands dirty when I try to dye them. Ugugugugu *drool*

Gore : in the context of this thread, hell yes, usability is more important than security. In a *working* environment, you've got all the aces, champ.

[edit : Yes. Users named 1-006453-83-41-91 and similar (there were three like this) had permissions. The owner of the computer had no idea what those users were. I have no idea what they were. I removed it. I gave "Everyone" Full Control again.]
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Banned
    You get an urge / erection from me and I'm leaving
    I've got a hardon for you.

Seriously though, as has been said already, the best filesystem for a situation specifically depends on the situation. NTFS is far more secure, and fancier, whatever. But NTFS is not supported across the board. If you can use NTFS I would just for the file system level security it offers. But, in some cases, such as dual boot. For things I am currently working on, I usually throw a fat32 drive in between just for shits and giggles, and keep anything sensitive inside an encrypted archive that both *nix and Windows can access.

Trevoke: Don't get into a pissing match with gore. You are no match for him.

And... Trevoke, your location says US, and you didn't know who that fairy Clay Aiken was? Have you no contact with pop culture?

AOs Resident Troll
    1-006453-83-41-91
    AFAIK

These accounts are the sid IDs from an account that was either part of a network\domain that is no longer available....or accounts that have been deleted\disabled.

Usually you can use the administrator password and access to take ownership of the files...and reset the permissions.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by d0pp
    Trevoke: Don't get into a pissing match with gore. You are no match for him.
    Respectfully, I don't agree with you on that. With argument everything gets better and clearer. I would argue sime points with gore forever, just to reach one point "Conviction", as I know he is better than me in that field. He would convince me that i'm wrong, or I would convince him that i'm right! This is how things should go!

I wouldn't say, no I can't involve in a debate with gore, just becasue I believe he is better than me. This is more likely arise in me the love of debating with him.

I accept advice and don't respect people who know that 1+1=2 and don't know WHY?

Play the "Devile's Advocate"

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

d0pp : I think pop culture involves watching TV, right? I don't particularly do that. My hobbies are limited to isshinryu karate and iaido I don't even go to bars.. And the people that I socialize with don't discuss American Idol or whatever Clay Aiken is from. I'm busy enough meditating and reading up on the Tao Te Ching and on that way of thinking without having to worry about such fickle things as who today's most effeminate singer is..

morganlefay : Thanks. You confirm what I thought, but I wasn't sure. When in doubt.. Clean it up. It's a simple fact that after giving "Everyone" Full Control I was able to write to the root directory of that drive again, so that was that. Still having issues with that agp440.sys thing and what's getting loaded after, though...

Banned
    I'm not talking about disagreeing with gore. I've done it on many occasions. Don't get into a pissing match with him.

The only situation where usability should be more important than basic security is a standalone machine not connected to the internet. Otherwise, you're just asking for trouble.

Well, we're talking about connecting a USB flash drive to a machine. Why on earth do we need the Internet for that? :-)
    I don't want to get into a pissing contest with him. I have better things to do with my health than to waste it getting mad at someone or trying to outdo some person who has much more experience than me in the world of computers..