Thread: Relaying???

Unhappy Relaying???

WHAT IS RELAYING?

i google this one but this is what i found:
    re·lay Audio pronunciation of "relaying" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rl)
    n.
    1. An act of passing something along from one person, group, or station to another.
    2. Sports.
    1. A relay race.
    2. A division of a relay race.
    3. Electronics. A device that responds to a small current or voltage change by activating switches or other devices in an electric circuit.
    4. A crew of workers who relieve another crew; a shift.
    5. A fresh team, as of horses or dogs, to relieve weary animals in a hunt, task, or journey.

tr.v. re·layed, re·lay·ing, re·lays (rl, r-l)

1. To pass along by or as if by relay: relayed the message to his boss.
    2. To supply with fresh relays.
    3. Electronics. To control or retransmit by means of a relay

but this is not answer i needed...

Please anybody can explain more better what's the meaning of "RELAYING" in computer terms???

Sure mate!

I send you an e-mail, and you pass it on to someone else.................you have "relayed" it.

I guess you have come across "open relays"?

This issue is mostly to do with servers that do not have this facility turned off. A spammer finds a server like this and sends it a load of garbage and a list of people to send it to. Because it is supporting open relays it does it without question.

This disguises the spammer, preserves his bandwidth, and prevents him getting choked with "cannot deliver" messages if his address list is low quality.

Or it can also be something like a DHCP relay --> This

Definition of open relay explained by webopedia... the expert explanations of nihil are about as good .

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

The general definition is when someone tries to directly route mail through a SMTP server from a machine not on the same site or network as the SMTP server to another machine not on the same site or network as the SMTP server or the originating address. This has become a preferred practice for e-mail spammers and e-mail system attackers for hiding their tracks.

cheers