Thread: Wireless & DHCP

Question Wireless & DHCP

OK I'm stumped, last night my wireless USB nic decided it didn't want to play with DHCP anymore. Now I have to identical laptops (M300) on one laptop it works fine, on the other no DHCP. Both laptops are clone images of each other. I have uninstalled and re-installed the nic without luck. So at this point I am going to go home tonight and try an assign a static IP to the nic and see if that works but I thought I check here to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Laptop = Compaq M300's
    OS = Win 2000 Pro. (fully patched)
    Nic = SMC Wireless USB Adapter
    WAP = Dlink (wep enabled)

Thanks
    Cheers:
    DjM

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    The firmware rev and model of your WAP would be most helpful. Have you flashed the firmware yet?

PS

try releasing the IP infoz on the one not working and then refresh the DHCP lease.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

is the firewall enabled on one of the laptops? or the firewall blocking dhcp requests?
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    The firmware rev and model of your WAP would be most helpful. Have you flashed the firmware yet?

PS

try releasing the IP infoz on the one not working and then refresh the DHCP lease.
    Sorry guys, work got in the way (I hate that).

The WAP is at home horse so I can't give you the rev right now, has it been flashed - No.
    Tried all the release/renew tricks I know, nothing worked, it is not recognizing the adapter.
    There is the following event in the event log:
    Event ID 1007
    Your computer has automatically configured the IP for the network card with network address XXXXXXXXXX. The IP address being used is 169.254.x.x
    PS: Tried it here at work with a Cisco WAP, same result.

Originally posted here by kr5kernel
    is the firewall enabled on one of the laptops? or the firewall blocking dhcp requests?

kr5, I have tried with and without the firewall, same result.

Cheers:
    DjM

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Is the card bad? If you tried that card with your home WAP and your work WAP, I'd say it's a good chance she be toasty.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Is the card bad? If you tried that card with your home WAP and your work WAP, I'd say it's a good chance she be toasty.
    Don't think it's the NIC horse, again, I got both the lappies here (at work), one works, one don't. Even had a bud plug it into his IBM Laptop and he got serverd up and address.

Got me stummped, restored the one that doesn't back to a ghost image from Oct. (everything was fine then) and the problem is still there.

DjM

Horse, after more work, I think your bang on. We tried it in a couple of more Laptops, some worked other didn't, I think the NIC has gone flakey, toast, history.... Time to go shopping.

I think we can consider this closed, anyone got a wireless NIC they can lend me.

Cheers:
    DjM

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Can you get another card to test your laptop.

Could be the slot in the laptop that's dodgy. Less likely but worth trying before you go shopping, just incase it cooks the new one too.

Originally posted here by Aspman
    Can you get another card to test your laptop.

Could be the slot in the laptop that's dodgy. Less likely but worth trying before you go shopping, just incase it cooks the new one too.
    I have a couple of Ericsson GC89's coming in that we have to test. These cards are a combination of GSM/GPRS and WiFi and look like they are going to be fun to play with.

Cheers:
    DjM