Thread: Best anti-virus solution

Best anti-virus solution

Hi,

I was wondering - do forum members have a preference for the best anti-virus solution for a standalone PC? There are of course well know names in the business and some less well known. But how do we know which solution is the best and most reliable?

Have any independent tests been carried out into the various products on the market?

I would be interested in hearing what people think - and what the evidence-base is for your opinions.

Regards and thanks in advance,
    Gordon Scobie MA (Hons) MSc
    The English Service
    www.the-english-service.co.uk

I personally prefer AVG Free. You can find it using Google. Just search for AVG Free. It is a very competent anti virus. I also use trends online av. If neither one of those can't find a virus, then it's a very bad one. AVG has found viruses and removed them that NAV couldn't or wouldn't remove.
    I\'m Doc, fear me because..........well I don\'t know, but fear me anyway.

I use AVG free version at present as well. Not tried the other program that you mentioned.

What about independent tests - have any been carried out?
    Gordon Scobie MA (Hons) MSc
    The English Service
    www.the-english-service.co.uk

or you could go to www.download.com

you would find avg and more. it will give you the options for programs which are free and which are shareware and whih ones are free.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

I use Avast Home edition. It comes with a 90 day trial or something like that, when its up you just reg with there site and they send you a key for a year (still free). Its got email/web/p2p/real time file protection and other stuff like that. It hasnt give'en me any problems and I find that freeav/avg dont find everything. Avast has got my vote
    meh. -ech0.