Thread: Speedtouch Modem password

Speedtouch Modem password

Hi,

I'm new to the forum so if this is the wrong place to post please let mw know where this messge should be!

If this is the right place then...

I have the following from my ADSL router. (Speedtouch 716) I'm using JTR to try to crack it. JTR thinks that it is an MD5 or LM Hash depending on how I format it as below.

add name=Administrator password=_CYP_106c304154d1cd4690963400b962a6c9 role=Administrator hash2=14d73764796bd64aeb61dbbe60aa32c1 defuser=enabled

Administrator:106c304154d1cd4690963400b962a6c9:14d73764796bd64aeb61dbbe60aa32c1

I'm not having any luck in cracking this at all. Even though the password is actually in the wordlist I'm using!

I'd appreciate people's thoughts about what algorithm is actually being used here, what the significance of the '_CYP_' is and, for bonus points, what the password is (and how you managed to get it!).

TIA,
    Tom

AOs Resident Troll
    Are you trying this from internally or externally??

If you are trying from outside...maybe remote admin is not set...

Or maybe the router is smart enough not to be vulernable to this type of "attack"

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I think you may have misunderstood. This is a password hash obtained from my modem/router. This hash is being entered into JTR to try to resolve the original password. I don't need to access the router to do this.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    Are you trying this from internally or externally??

If you are trying from outside...maybe remote admin is not set...

Or maybe the router is smart enough not to be vulernable to this type of "attack"

MLF

Regal Making Handler
    I don't know anything about your router but running john against mine would be a waist of time. The .config file from my router is in plane text.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hi,

Thanks. As you can see from my original post, mine isn't.

add name=Administrator password=_CYP_106c304154d1cd4690963400b962a6c9 role=Administrator hash2=14d73764796bd64aeb61dbbe60aa32c1 defuser=enabled

Lovely to hear about yours though.

Originally posted here by jinxy
    I don't know anything about your router but running john against mine would be a waist of time. The .config file from my router is in plane text.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    So are you doing this to play with JTR ?
    what is the end game ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Regal Making Handler
    Lovely to hear about yours though.
    I'll send you mine if you send me yours?
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    So are you doing this to play with JTR ?
    what is the end game ?
    Just curiousity really. It's a while since I've played with JTR and I was intrigued by the construction of the hashes on my router: they don't look exactly like anything I've seen before.