Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limewire removal

Limewire removal

Hello,

The things people do to their computers......I recently had to remove Lmewire from a friend's computer. I used the windows install/uninstall facility to remove it and then went to the relevant installation folder and removed all the things the windows facility had left. It seems from some research that a spyware/adware/virus scan would be a good idea, however are there any other things I should bear in mind to stop people accessing content from the computer or using up internet usage?
    Cereal: Eaten at all times of the day.

if you are using the windows sp2 firewall, then simply remove it from the exceptions list..

Other then that just block it from sending or recieving with the firewall that you are using..

i found that lime wire is a pest to get rid of, including the paid version..
    other then that if your still paranoid i'd say just back everything important up, and do a fresh re-install of the Operating System.

cheers
    front2back

its just the matter of knowing what kinds of files you want to download. like, if its a program, movie or music you are downloading, you definately dont try for the files that are less than 1 mb. everybody shares music or movies.

i have known people, goin on to the net with no firewall or antivirus. now thats something..

interesting people.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

If Limewire has been used for a while, there may be some other issues on the system. It wouldn't hurt to prep and run a safemode spyware and AV scan. In safe mode, you may find a few other things sitting around that Limewire (or some piggybacker) left behind.

I have also noticed that QuickTime movies are common in almost any search. Many of them can launch the browser and take you to websites you don't want to be at. The file size are usually around 800k so be careful.

Regal Making Handler
    Have a look through the registry for limeShop entries and delete them. Do a search for files and folders of the same name and delete them also.

I'm assuming you have already uninstalled limeShop. Which will not be uninstalled when you uninstall Limewire.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

hmmm

1st of all explain to me exactly why u had to remove limewire from ur friend's computer ? there is absolutely nothing wrong with limewire. if u say that limewire has spyware on it can someone please prove to me that that is true ? anyways if u don't download exe files and zip files that could possible be harmful then limewire is completely harmless.

if u can prove it then post it...

Regal Making Handler
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

my sentiments exactly. one doesnt remove a program from a computer just because people got infected by downloading stuff using that program. most of the damage to the machine is user inflicted.

all, what is required is a little carefulness.
    you will see files of less than 1 mb in every search. those are viruses, dude. a word of caution-dont try them.

and quick time file(*.mov) are all links. am sure that you must have tried enough by now.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Re: hmmm

Originally posted here by isle_of_infamy
    1st of all explain to me exactly why u had to remove limewire from ur friend's computer ? there is absolutely nothing wrong with limewire. if u say that limewire has spyware on it can someone please prove to me that that is true ?
    Limewire, like all P2P programs, is vulnerable to and a target for trojans and worms designed specifically to attack P2P share systems. P2P software not properly configured and protected allows your system to be infected. I don't think anyone here needs to prove it. All you would have to do is look through the virus lists of any of the major AV publishers to see a mindnumbing number of spyware, worms and trojans specifically designed to attack P2P networks and infect systems with P2P software, and take advantage of clueless P2P users.

Hell, most of the P2P software started out programmed by kids I wouldn't trust to write a "Hello, World!" program, much less something that opened my system to the entire Internet universe.

You get what you pay for.