Originally posted here by Egaladeist
DocSkurlock...all I can say is you've got to be very young...because let me fill you in...back in my day groups went on tour to promote and sell their singles and albums...the money they made was in sales NOT concerts...that was the purpose of going on the road...sell your record..

now...it's the reverse...they make practically no money off of sales and concerts are their big winfall...

and this is, in part, due to piracy...piracy is not solely responsible...but it's played a major role.

As for the last part of your statement....let's look at the logic...should I tell my daughters that if they don't like the brown and purple crayons that they can steal the box...after all, their goal is to get the crayons they like, not pay for the ones they don't like.

You'll be a good father one day with that kind of logic to back you up :roll-eyes:

Eg
I am NOT very young. I refuse to pay 20 bucks for a cd with one crappy song I "MAY" like. In case you haven't figured it out, a lot of people that download songs, even by paying for them, generally end up buying the cd anyway. In the very first part of my post, I admitted to using iTunes to pay for songs and download them. That's not piracy, is it? Yes, I admitted to using napster and kazaa and winmx. Yes, I used them to download songs, however, I mostly used them to download obscure songs, such as David Alan Coe's XXX songs. Those are hysterical and you can't find them at Best Buy, that's for sure.

Just so you know, the reason why they aren't making money is NOT because of piracy. It's because recording labels are charging more and more and giving less in royalties and then blaming it on piracy. Read the first part of this post. PIRATES BUY CD'S AFTER DOWNLOADING A FEW SONGS! Sorry for caps, but I wanted to drive that point home. You say it's partly due to piracy. You are correct, sort of. It's due to piracy because the labels are blaming it on piracy, when really it's because a 25 cent cd costs the average consumer 15 bucks or more. Heaven forbid it's a boxed set. Since you know so much, why don't you tell me how much the average artist makes off of a cd? They make diddly squat.

Now, onto your comment about the crayons. First of all, you have no idea how good a parent I'd be. Secondly, although I support piracy, to an extent, I do not advocate it. I am not in IRC with 80,000 songs and using up all my bandwidth downloading and uploading. I BUY my songs, one at a time generally, on iTunes and then burn them when I get enough to fill a disc. Yes, I have bought whole albums and loved them. Thank you for labelling me as well.

To clarify: I support some piracy, yes. If it's so obscure that the only place you can find it is on the net, then by all means. However, if you can find a paid service to get it, you can generally get it in a decent format and not have to worry about viruses or malware. I really don't like to buy cd's (sony rootkit for instance?) and so I use a legal service to get my music. I think you need to focus on someone that is actually doing what I'm not. I am not your enemy. The enemy is the RIAA and the MPAA. Focus on them.