Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kazaa owners given ten days to conform or die

Kazaa owners given ten days to conform or die

The popular file-sharing service Kazaa has been put on notice. Sharman Networks, the Australian company that purchased the Kazaa network and software in 2002, has been told by an Australian judge that they have until December 5 to either filter copyrighted music from its system or shut down their operations entirely.

This ultimatum is a clear follow-up to the previous judgement, handed down by the Australian courts in September, that Kazaa had essentially authorized users to violate copyright. Sharman Networks had appealed this judgement, but it looks like the Australian court is serious about enforcing its desires.

To avoid complete shutdown, Sharman Networks must, as a "first step," implement a keyword-filtering system for the Kazaa network within 10 days. This would remove the links to many copyrighted files already being shared over the network, but obviously it would be easy for users to add intentional misspellings to their files in order to bypass the filters. There has been no comment about whether or not the fake, static-filled music files hosted on high-speed connections by the music industry themselves would be subject to these same keyword filters.

The chairman of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), an organization that represents the recording industry in over 75 countries, issued this statement:

It's time for services like Kazaa to move on—to filter, go legal or make way for others who are trying to build a digital music business the correct and legal way.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051124-5622.html
    Kazaa owners given ten days to conform or die

either filter copyrighted music from its system or shut down their operations entirely.
    MMM I hear the calls a' commin' ... My so called friends will be on the phone moaning about not being able to download any music through Kazaa anymore ....

Right ..and you expect me to do what now ??

I told them every time not to use it ... after cleaning their PC of the nasty S** they got through it...but do they listen ...NOOO

Shut it down ... SHUT IT DOWN NOW ! ...please

Sorry had to get this of my chest.

I'm good now .... shut it doooownn

I'm ok ..

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Hmmm,

MMM I hear the calls a' commin' ... My so called friends will be on the phone moaning about not being able to download any music through Kazaa anymore ....
    I agree that P2P is a potential security risk and wouldn't personally use it. However, from talking to those who download stuff, there is an enormous amount of trading goes on in the newsgroups. Nobody seems to have really looked at that yet?

I am also unsure as to how effective these measures are in respect of protecting revenue. I still have to be convinced that people who download music would actually buy it.

I strongly suspect it is a case of "being seen to be doing something,..................... anything." Organisations like Kazaa make an easy target because they are organised.

I still have to be convinced that people who download music would actually buy it.
    Take a look at this article from the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4718249.stm

Its surprising isn't it that actually the people who download the most, buy the most. What the research says to me is that actually by killing the file shares the music industry is potentially hindering there own profits...
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

its not that people dont buy stuff. even the person sharing the music or movie bought it. well somebody did.

they cant stop file sharing. more sites they stop. more will come up.

like in the begining napster was the only file sharing program. it was clean and it was difficult to download a virus from, unless one visited those underground sites. then it was stopped, couple of file sharing programs came up. then they realised that they had made a mistake and made napster a paid site. but by that time it was too late.
    somehow the people know more about diffirent file sharing programs than they do about running a windows defragment or a scan disk.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Originally posted here by Cemetric
    We still have BitTorrent dude. I wouldn't download anything via Kazza. I do love BitTorrent.

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

On one had I am happy that this great risk will be banned, on the other hand it won't matter much. Like some tv creep once said:"If you kill one of them, another hundred will rise to take its place". That same thing is true for this kind of things. They can't be stopped.
    And we will alway's have iMesh and Limwire and others.
    [T]he future is now.

LimeWire?

"You cannot be serious"

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...x?id=453088059

nihil

I may go down a notch here, but.......I use Limewire (free version).Mostly to get at songs that I no longer can play on my vinyl, I very rarley use it, and when I do, I am very careful with it.

That being said, I would like to point you to this article by Benjamin Edelman who rated 5 P2P programs for third party installations (spyware/Adware) and as you will see, Limewire is rated the best of the 5 as far as unwanted additions.

Since LimeWire contains no apparent bundled software, its on-disk presence might be expected to be smaller than its 61 folders and 864 files (the second-largest and largest additions among the programs I tested, as measured along those metrics; though simultaneously the second-smallest in both registry keys and values). My examination of the specific files and folders created by LimeWire reveals the reason for the many additions: More than half the folders created by LimeWire and more than 65% of files were associated with the Java runtime that LimeWire requires. Users who do not otherwise seek to run Java software may see these files as a burden. However, those who already have Java a runtime may not require any of these files or folders, making LimeWire's on-disk burden for such users among the smallest of tested programs.

My hands-on testing of LimeWire's application yielded only ads promoting the paid version of LimeWire, but no advertising for third-party products.

http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/p2p/

Also I don't condone outright piracy, I do however want to point out that I am not in a college somewhere, with banks of pc's downloading gigabytes of music, or in China filling the black market up with cloned cd's or ripped cd's.

I agree that Kazaa is the nasty one as I have helped other users clean their PC's of this one on numerous occassions.

I also realise that the concept of FTP can be full of security implications, but it is still down to the users.

Also that reference to eTrust is fairly ambigious at best, they of course are going to say there is adware on this, well there is adware on a lot of things, not all adware is malicious, some are benign (reminders to pay for full version).

Bottom lime if you don't know what you are downloading or doing, then be prepared for the consequences if the Sh*t hits the fan and your PC gets corrupted.

I should include this before someone else points it out to me.However the test results done are accurate.
    Disclosures

This article builds on paid consulting I conducted for LimeWire. I thank LimeWire for their willingness to let me share my findings with the public.
    He didn't have to say that.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

As much as I love music...and had, at one time, a rather large collection of 1-hit wonders on 45's and rare ( not especially valuable ) albums ( anyone remember the old 7up and Pepsi and Tee-shirt albums from the 60's with various artists...popular groups like Blood Sweat & Tears, not unknowns ?...how about the old 60's Coke 45?...or Canada's 60's hit : roll-eyes : the Centennial Song on 45?)

I never have downloaded any music...I've thought about it...but never done it.

Eg