Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kazaa owners given ten days to conform or die

Eg

I never have downloaded any music...I've thought about it...but never done it
    Have you never taken a blank cassette and recorded songs from another cassette, or recorded songs from the radio stations? or better yet taken reel to reel and placed about 8hrs worth of music on them, If not then fine. I can respect you taking the high road on this, but if you have, then would you explain the difference to me.

Reasons why I will download music:

1. I am not paying $25.00 plus for one tune
    2. I have an extensive vinyl collection (maybe I should convert them to audio files for the PC) and I only use it for the songs I like.
    3.Sony and company would like to take over my PC.(not new)
    4.David Bowie said I could.
    5.Too much emphasis is placed on the lone PC user and not enough is done to the real pirates.
    6.Had to download some of the Goons.
    7.The jury is still out, that this method of file sharing or downloading music for free is hurting the music industry or even the artist, if anything it is hurting the middlemen (marketers) who are the ones who set the prices.

If you figure I am a pirate, then okay I'm a pirate, but lets not all get two faced about this,as I am sure a good percentage of this sites members have at one time or another, whether it is through P2P or FTP downloaded something they shouldn't have.

just my 0.01 Cdn cents worth
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Well,

My first objection to P2P and the sites it is used to access is the security aspect.

A lot would depend on local laws, but over here it is perfectly legal to record public broadcast transmissions for your private and personal use.

It is also legal to make a copy of media for your personal use. This lets you change media, make your own compilations etc. As long as you have the original on some form of media that is OK.

It is when you start distributing material to people who do not own an original that you start to break the law.

Basically, recording companies are deemed to sell content rather than media.

When you copy and sell material you are counterfeiting, which is a criminal offense.

Hi dalek,

Have you never taken a blank cassette and recorded songs from another cassette, or recorded songs from the radio stations? or better yet taken reel to reel and placed about 8hrs worth of music on them, If not then fine. I can respect you taking the high road on this, but if you have, then would you explain the difference to me.
    I think you misread what I said...I was NOT making a moral or ethical stand on either side of the coin...I was just responding to comments regarding these sites and saying I've never had the pleasure.

As for the moral or ethical aspect of it...I really haven't given it much thought.

Now...as for copying movies or music...I have...in fact I'm doing it now, I'm dubbing a movie from VHS to DVD...ethically that's a given right...and I accept that as a person who was in the Art field for 20 years...as long as it's for personal use and not resale or use extended beyond the home.
    The basis for this is the old adage: why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free? Limiting copying to personal use does not, in theory, inhibit purchasing.

Ethically I can make a thousand free copies of Jurassic Park as long as I don't sell them or give them as presents to people outside my home on Christmas...which, again, in theory, means they won't purchase it themselves...if they can get it for free.

It's the grocery store sign saying: one purchase per family...they don't want you to interfere with purchases...but if you want to buy a thousand copies and give them away that's fine...because you are in effect acting as their family purchaser.

I'm sure that copying new artists materials actually helps sales...in promotion...for years the radio companies avoided royalty fees by saying they were promoting and therefore benefiting artists by playing their music...and essentially they would be right...but long established artists like the Stones have nothing to gain from people copying their work.

So...in some respects it's a gray area...because in some cases it helps and in other cases it doesn't.

If you figure I am a pirate, then okay I'm a pirate
    Your words not mine...refer back to my first statements...however, as an Artist I had many projects ripped off over the years...and I would say without hesitation that if your actions in any way compromises another persons rights...yes...you would be a pirate.

Eg

iMesh recently released iMesh 6 which is their latest version... they claim to not include any spyware/adware... you can check out their security forum at http://www.imesh.com/forums/viewforu...3afad7ccd1211c

i dunno with my luck this has probably already been mentioned 20 times
    also they claim to be gatorless which sounds good to me. I think that if you are a hardcore imesher, you should check that security forum on a regular basis.
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

I would really love it if they would just shut down kazza all together like many others have said at least I would'nt have non computer savey co-workers and friends with compters full of kazza crap. Not that it would really matter I am sure they would just get P2P junk from some where else.

Just go buy what ever music you need it would save everybody a lot of trouble.
    why?

would you buy the whole cd for one song.

i have talked to custom people around the world, and according them- you could get into trouble carrying 50 dvds of pyrated music, movies and software. but on the other hand its ok to have a 200gb harddisk full of them.

so according to them its ok to have pyrated music in your comp, but when you start making copies, thats when you get into trouble.
    anyway when you share music you are in way advertising the artist, not the recording company. thats pissing them off.
    secruty risks of such programs, on the other hand, is something else. just dont download what you dont know, how it will work on your comp. its always better to buy a program, than to download a cracked version.

cheers
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

would you buy the whole cd for one song.
    I only steal automobiles one at a time as well

i have talked to custom people around the world, and according them- you could get into trouble carrying 50 dvds of pyrated music, movies and software. but on the other hand its ok to have a 200gb harddisk full of them.
    That which is illegal is illegal. I think that the point is when you are carrying the stuff around you are more likely to be stopped and searched, and accused of trying to SELL the material. Stuff that you keep in the privacy of your own home is, by implication, for your own personal use.

If you do make a legal copy for your own use DO NOT scan and print the original CD sleeve

anyway when you share music you are in way advertising the artist
    That is very lame. I would guess that 95% of shared music is by people who have no need of such advertising.

What you should bear in mind, is that there is an enormous amount of material out there that is legally free? Niche artists make their money from personal appearances and frequently have large collections on their websites....................they ARE advertising.

Some of our UK computing/entertainment magazines have sections of free music by "new" acts.

And just about every Saturday and Sunday newspaper has a free CD or DVD with it?

All sorts of "customer loyalty" schemes will sell you CDs and DVDs for the cost of the shipping.

For those interested in older material, copyright is not forever, so more and more stuff is coming into the public domain. Also "traditional" songs are frequently provided by "fringe artists" such as the United States Air Force Band

I even downloaded a copy of "Amazing Grace" in Cherokee!!!!

You guys are funny. Lol.

"I don't download music ever".... Depending on what you listen to that's fine. But if you're a fan of pop, you're an idiot. Most pop bands have done nothing their whole lives and it'll be a cold day in hell where I help Brit spears get rich off me, or the dumb ass record label that signed her **** hole records. **** that.

I download those songs because some people in my family like it, and I'm not letting them BUY the album. I own over 500 CDs, most of the things I download for myself are live recordings that were never sold, videos that were never released and **** like that.

Like the Misfits video for Brain Eaters. They only made 5 copies and the only people who got them were the band and a friend or two. How the hell would you get that? You couldn't. But I found it and grabbed it.

And for the dude saying you don't want to pay 25 dollars for one song.... Maybe you could pick bands that don't suck and put more than one good song on their ****. NOFX made a song about this very thing saying how someone gets one good song and puts it on a CD full of crap and charges 25 dollars for it.

I'm a huge punk fan and a **** load of punk bands make their CDs cheap as hell on purpose.

Danzig has his own record label, Misfits have their own, and The Misfits actually did this so they could charge as little as possible for their albums. I paid 12 dollars for Project 1950 by the Misfits and that came with a DVD too. If Spears had done the same thing she would have charged at least 27 dollars.

I have lots of CDs that were 2 dollars.

NOFX have a CD where they made the album art work the price tag saying if you're asked to pay more than this report the store.

So, RIAA, Record industry, I'm the reason you can't have 12 BMWs. Get off your ass and sign someone who doesn't suck and then maybe people would buy it.

Hi gore,

put more than one good song on their ****.
    Back when I was a kid...you couldn't even make an album until you had a hit 45...everything was released as singles...first to the radio dj's for airplay then to the stores...

so...I agree...most of the stuff put out in the last 25 years has been sh!t...because instead of putting out singles they now put out a full album just in the off-chance one might hit it big.

And there used to be a huge difference in material and style...granted some albums had 14-20 songs that all sounded like carbon-copies of each other, but not like now, nowadays most albums ( read: cd's ) are carbon-copies...and not only are their songs the same, the groups themselves don't vary much from one band to another.

So...even though I'm not into punk, etc..., I can see why some people seek out alternative music (punk, new age, etc.. ) when 98% of the mainstream stuff out there ( pop, rap, etc...) shouldn't even have been published let alone sold to the public.

My sincere apologies to the 2% of mainstream artists that are still putting out quality material.

Eg

as long as it's for personal use and not resale or use extended beyond the home.
    This is me, I certainly do not download to make a profit. As for paying the $25 for a CD, I will if it's the" best of" type of CD.

Most of the new bands out there, actually rely on the net to be their spokesperson or advertisement, gone are the days of walking in to the big record companies with a demo tape, and hoping to get some air time, also to support what Gore says, a lot of the bands that are fighting for airtime, can't get it because of the "collusion" among radio to play what's currently on the billboards.

A lot of the alternative music is played out on college radios, so the only alternative is the net.

however, as an Artist I had many projects ripped off over the years...
    Who was it that ripped you off, was it the consumer or the middlemen?

What is the actual percentage breakdown of a CD:
    Does a CD have to cost $15.99?

Major labels insist that the low prices mass retailers such as Wal-Mart and Best Buy demand are impossible for them to achieve. But Best Buy senior vice president Gary Arnold counters, "The record industry needs to refine their business models, because the consumer is the ultimate arbitrator. And the consumer feels music isn't properly priced." Labels point to roster cuts and layoffs as evidence that they can't sell CDs cheaper.

This breakdown of the cost of a typical major-label release by the independent market-research firm Almighty Institute of Music Retail shows where the money goes for a new album with a list price of $15.99.

$0.17 Musicians' unions
    $0.80 Packaging/manufacturing
    $0.82 Publishing royalties
    $0.80 Retail profit
    $0.90 Distribution
    $1.60 Artists' royalties
    $1.70 Label profit
    $2.40 Marketing/promotion
    $2.91 Label overhead
    $3.89 Retail overhead

That's a pretty remarkable breakdown. Label get $7.01per CD and retailers get $4.69 for a combined percentage of 73% of the price of each CD. Royalties, artists, and manufacturing costs combined total only $4.29.
    http://wizbangblog.com/archives/003959.php
    This is in US Dollars, so add about $8.00 for the exchange rate to Canadian.

and I would say without hesitation that if your actions in any way compromises another persons rights...yes...you would be a pirate.
    Not of the P2P kind, more like the Cap'n Morgan variety
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson