Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kazaa owners given ten days to conform or die

Hi dalek,

Who was it that ripped you off, was it the consumer or the middlemen?
    Actually several different ways....when I was a full-time illustrator ( I did freelance commercial work and some private projects...as opposed to your more traditional artist, eg. an oil painter)...back in the days when the only people who had computers were places like NASA , you had to either buy a book ( yes, a very large book the size of a kitchen table, newpapers had tons of these books ) of clip-art ( hence the name, because they had to cut/clip out the picture and do a paste-up job ) or have a staff artist, or hire out to someone like me if you wanted anything from a picture to a logo...or even just letterhead...

how did I get ripped off...well...how many ways would you like me to mention? ...I still see my work floating around here and there that I never got paid for or even a credit by-line.

I will if it's the" best of" type
    Yep...that's the only kind I buy...Greatest Hits Albums ( read:CD's ), everything else is a waste of money.

Eg

Hi Eg

I still see my work floating around here and there that I never got paid for or even a credit by-line.
    I would find that espescially galling, and I can see and understand where you have a soft spot for "pirates" [insert sarcasm]I don't wish to make light of it.

I am sure the old adage "If I knew then what I know now" would apply eh!

Kinda supports the debate about artists and the marketers or middlemen (managers), I am always reading somewhere where the artist is suing his old manager or accountant/bookkeeper because of mismanagement of his funds.

How does that old Joe Walsh tune go "lifes been good" some of these artists have too many hangers on (leeches) and they end up having to fight for what is theirs, once the party is over.

I believe artists should be able to profit from their hard work, and creativity,my argument is with the Corporations who spoonfeed us pablum and rip off the very artists who make them rich.

My soapbox just broke, so I'm outta here.(exit stage right eveeen)
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Get off your ass and sign someone who doesn't suck and then maybe people would buy it.
    As opposed to stealing it?..............c'mon gore what has happened to your logic?..............if something sucks, it sucks,period whether you paid for it or not?

Anyways where have you been hiding? you obviously have not been watching the mainstream pop music industry for the past 20 years. It has nothing to do with "music" or "talent"..............it is all to do with SEX, promotion and marketing, and more SEX

Haven't you wondered why we have this plethora of talentless bimbos who all sing through their noses?

These are "creatures" of the mainstream industry, veritable "cash cows", which is why the recording companies get so upset if they cannot milk them to the max.

In a way I wish the record companies and the RIAA every success in their prosecutions...........they will kill off this garbage, make their investment value zero, get the brain dead farts running the companies fired, then maybe the will have to bring back the good old A&R teams to scout for real talent?

Regal Making Handler
    An update.

[from here: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1008

Just one mistake has cost the ARIA (Australian Recording Industry Association) three months of unfettered public access to copyrighted works on the FastTrack network. Sharman Networks, in their attempt to build legitimacy, were pushing for an Audible Magic filter. The Australian recording industry was seeking a 3,000 word filter instead.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by dalek
    Eg

Reasons why I will download music:

1. I am not paying $25.00 plus for one tune
    2. I have an extensive vinyl collection (maybe I should convert them to audio files for the PC) and I only use it for the songs I like.
    3.Sony and company would like to take over my PC.(not new)
    4.David Bowie said I could.
    5.Too much emphasis is placed on the lone PC user and not enough is done to the real pirates.
    6.Had to download some of the Goons.
    7.The jury is still out, that this method of file sharing or downloading music for free is hurting the music industry or even the artist, if anything it is hurting the middlemen (marketers) who are the ones who set the prices.

If you figure I am a pirate, then okay I'm a pirate, but lets not all get two faced about this,as I am sure a good percentage of this sites members have at one time or another, whether it is through P2P or FTP downloaded something they shouldn't have.

just my 0.01 Cdn cents worth
    While I used to use Winmx and Napster before it was shut down and turned into a paid service, I now pay for a song I like using iTunes. When I get enough songs, I burn them to a cd, and then rip them to my hdd so that they are not encoded with DRM any longer. I dislike buying cd's, but generally, if I buy a cd, I tend to like the whole thing, so that's not an issue. Very rarely have I bought a cd and ended up only liking one song.

On to Kazaa. I used it briefly for awhile, about 3 or 4 years ago. Then I ran a spyware scan and noticed that it kept infecting my system. I had gator/weatherbug and pretty much everything else you could think of on my system. I would clean my system and as soon as I ran kazaa, I'd get reinfected. Since then, I have never used kazaa at all. Any program that automatically inserts spyware has no place on my computer or on my network. I know some people that swear by it and I just laugh at them.

In regards to being a pirate. So what! The only people making money off of a cd purchase are the ceo's of recording labels. I have no qualms downloading a song, either legally or otherwise. My goal is to download a song I like, not pay for 10 that I don't like.

I agree with your reasons completely.
    I\'m Doc, fear me because..........well I don\'t know, but fear me anyway.

In regards to being a pirate. So what! The only people making money off of a cd purchase are the ceo's of recording labels.
    Last time I checked, being the CEO of a Record Label was not an offence. Pirating intellectual property was, and still is

This is the typical pathetic excuse put out by people who know that they are doing wrong, and are trying to find some sort of twisted justification for it. I call it the "Robin Hood" syndrome.

You obviously have absolutely NO IDEA of the business model or financial structure of the recording industry. Actually it is identical to most others in that if there is a downturn, a hell of a lot of ordinary people lose their jobs before it gets anywhere near the boardroom.

In fact, music pirates are actually covering those guys a$$es because all they have to do is blame file sharing and the stockholders will believe them.

And yes, I HAVE worked in the industry.

In regards to being a pirate. So what! The only people making money off of a cd purchase are the ceo's of recording labels. I have no qualms downloading a song, either legally or otherwise. My goal is to download a song I like, not pay for 10 that I don't like.
    DocSkurlock...all I can say is you've got to be very young...because let me fill you in...back in my day groups went on tour to promote and sell their singles and albums...the money they made was in sales NOT concerts...that was the purpose of going on the road...sell your record..

now...it's the reverse...they make practically no money off of sales and concerts are their big winfall...

and this is, in part, due to piracy...piracy is not solely responsible...but it's played a major role.

As for the last part of your statement....let's look at the logic...should I tell my daughters that if they don't like the brown and purple crayons that they can steal the box...after all, their goal is to get the crayons they like, not pay for the ones they don't like.

You'll be a good father one day with that kind of logic to back you up :roll-eyes:

Eg

EG~

The business model has changed somewhat, these days artists are a bit like professional footballers..........they get big bucks for signing recording contracts. It is then up to the recording label to make money out of the albums.

I guess this does not apply to the talentless bimbos, they are a bit like Kleenex.............use them and throw them away?

Anyways where have you been hiding? you obviously have not been watching the mainstream pop music industry for the past 20 years. It has nothing to do with "music" or "talent"..............it is all to do with SEX, promotion and marketing, and more SEX
    Too true..........I think the defining moment for me on this was when I was watching the Super Bowl halftime show and it featured Brittany (I can't sing) Spears and of all people (and I don't really like his music either) Steve Tyler from Aerosmith, it was revolting, I felt like I was watching this old man eyeballing his next adolescent victim, I almost puked.

Back when MTV or in Canada Much Music started, I liked some of the videos, as it was a new area for the artists to stretch their talents, and I like shows which are well done, like Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, good stage acts, but have you seen the videos since, their is more T & A in the videos today then what I used to "read" in Playboy mags (my uncles of course).

Also I agree with you in principle nihil as far as the RIAA going after the pirates and nailing their asses, but when I see them take a 12 year old to court because her Mother has abdicated her responsibility to ensure that the RIAA would have to make a case against the child, I lose all respect for these pseudo nazis, if you want to cut down on piracy, then go after the big guys, I am hearing all the time about the cable companies cutting people off, because their download bandwidth is off the scale, which means they have banks of PC's downloading and burning CD's to sell.

It is too easy to go after Mom & Dad with the corporate lawyers, as intimidation is the name of the game, RIAA can and will throw thousands of dollars away to prosecute those that can least afford to defend themselves.

Make China and other countries who are wallowing in black market cd's stop and I will uninstall my P2P program.
    It's a case of supply and demand, as long as the demand is there, someone or somebody will try to supply it.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Originally posted here by nihil
    Last time I checked, being the CEO of a Record Label was not an offence. Pirating intellectual property was, and still is

This is the typical pathetic excuse put out by people who know that they are doing wrong, and are trying to find some sort of twisted justification for it. I call it the "Robin Hood" syndrome.

You obviously have absolutely NO IDEA of the business model or financial structure of the recording industry. Actually it is identical to most others in that if there is a downturn, a hell of a lot of ordinary people lose their jobs before it gets anywhere near the boardroom.

In fact, music pirates are actually covering those guys a$$es because all they have to do is blame file sharing and the stockholders will believe them.

And yes, I HAVE worked in the industry.

Did I say I still pirated music? Did I not say, in the very beginning of my post that I used a legal service to purchase a song I liked? I don't agree with your ideals. Doesn't mean you're wrong and I'm right. Doesn't even mean I'm right. I also never said being a CEO was an offense.

Apparently, what I was saying came out wrong. I'm not trying to defend piracy, or say downloading music illegaly is cool or it or what have you. Frankly, I don't care. I honestly believe the RIAA and the MPAA are going about it wrong. Several recording artists have said that p2p is good for them, because they don't have the capital to promote themselves outside of a few concerts that only gets to about half the country.

Thank you for labeling me a pirate just because I support the free downloading of music. Do you also label me a pothead because I support the legalisation of marijuana? Even though I have never used drugs (outside of alcohol in the Corps). Labels belong on equipment and property, not on people.

In response to your statement that people lose their jobs before it hits the boardroom. OF COURSE! The board members like to keep their checks. You don't see them saying, "I'll take a 10% reduction in pay just so we can keep people on." Do you?
    I\'m Doc, fear me because..........well I don\'t know, but fear me anyway.