Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandisk 512MB Flash Drive

Sandisk 512MB Flash Drive

Hey, Ive been having problems with a Flash Drive, and im not sure what the problem may be. Every once in a while when I plug in my drive it tells me that the drive is not formatted and must be to be used. I have clicked format multiple times and have lost all my information, which is becoming frustrating. I'm not sure if this is because I unplug it before I click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon or what. It says in the instruction that it is not necessary to do. When I got it it didn't ask to reformat for the first ferw months, but after I had it for a while, It just started "unformatting" on its own. If anyone knows any reason why this may be happening, could you please tell me.

Not removing it properly could certainly be a cause of it. There is a reason you have to go through the procedure and i think youve just found out what that reason is!

Just Another Geek
    How many times did you write data to it?
    There is a limit to this...
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

sandisk instructions do say that "safely remove hardware" dont have to be used.
    there is a windows update for media card reader.
    try that.

sandisks website has drivers if you are not using windows xp or me edition
    http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/DriverDownloads.aspx
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Originally posted here by SirDice
    How many times did you write data to it?
    There is a limit to this...
    What do you mean by "limit"? I am constantly writing and reading to the drive; are you saying that that could be the cause?.

there isnt any limit.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

there isnt any limit.
    Oh yes there is! It is a solid state transistorised device. There is a limit to the number of cycles that a transistor can take. Depending on the quality of the device, that is probably of the order of 10,000-100,000, so it is not likely to be the problem here................in any case you would be getting media errors not formatting ones.

Basically I wouldn't use Sandisk if you gave it to me. the reformatting thing is a known issue. And I do not believe them when they say you don't have to properly dismount the device before unplugging it. Sure you can get away with it, but there is nothing on Earth will save you if you pull it out whilst it is still being written to.

What nihil is saying is likely right on. I use SanDisk stuff for a while. I don't run into problems with them. I do use the dismount function for either SD cards or flash drives. Just my own paranoia.

However, if you are reading and writing to them as you would a hard drive (like using Word or Excel to open and edit a file on the device), this may be part of the problem. Write caching may be your culprit. If you don't run the dismount function, there may still be things in the write cache that haven't been finished when you pull the device out of the interface. Unfinished writes leave an open/incomplete file in the device. Just like in a floppy or Zip disk, the open/unfinished file will make the media unusable.

My own practice, carried over from floppy and Zip days, is to: 1) copy the working files I want over to the hard drive; 2) work on the files and save them to the temporary location; 3) copy the files back to the media; 4) run the dismount function and remove when prompted.

Haven't had a problem.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Buy decent kit
    it works out cheaper in the long run

follow all disconnect instructions AVIDLY

replace, but first COPY, each FLASH drive on a regular basis

I think THAT covers it
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

also.... if you are mounting and dismounting it from PC to Mac (vise versa) frequently.
    am always burning a flash disk so many times.