Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoping spyware getting on to PC

Stoping spyware getting on to PC

I run a couple of anti-spyware solutions on my PC - but they seem to fail in one respect - they are not able to stop spyware getting onto my machine in the first place. So, the question I suppose is: how does one stop spyware getting on in the first instance?

Regards,
    Gordon Scobie MA (Hons) MSc
    The English Service
    www.the-english-service.co.uk

Use firefox instead of internet explorer. Don't go to webpages that are "unusual." Don't open emails with attachments from people you don't know, or with unusual attachments.

There is no one program to "prevent" spyware. The best way is to practice safe methods and to be smart in your browsing.
    I\'m Doc, fear me because..........well I don\'t know, but fear me anyway.

I used firefox a while ago, but found it a bit problematic - I cannot actually remember, but I can try it again. I use deepnetexplorer now instead of IE. Is this any good?

What about any other security settings - are there any settings that I can use that will help?

Thanks,
    Gordon Scobie MA (Hons) MSc
    The English Service
    www.the-english-service.co.uk

It all depends on what you do with your PC. If you can run without activeX, active scripting, java and so on, you would be a lot safer, but a lot of sites will not display fully.

Right now I would say use firefox. Its safer then IE and has more functions. Soon we wont be able to hide behind firefox and it seems like a bandaid solution anyways. Basicly I would say have a good av with updates defs, Have good spyware tools like adaware and so on. The main fact is learn to surf smart. I think that is the number 1 way to prevent spyware.
    -firefox
    -spyware blaster
    -spybot has defencive stuff in it
    -run adaware and ewido weekly

I could see those working for you. I just surfsmart and use firefox, run spyware progs when I see problems or have a reason too.
    meh. -ech0.

Hi

Read up on this:How did I get infected

This is interesting regarding your deepnet browser.http://www.bbcworld.com/content/clic...66&co_pageid=2

First time I have heard of this one.May give it a try, but as was mentioned, go with Firefox, maybe deepnet's P2P functions or RSS feeds conflict with the browsing experience.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

I would say use the lastest version of the paid for version of Zone Alarm. it had a herusitic spyware and virus scanner included with it. They may be slow but they are thourough!

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I would say use the lastest version of the paid for version of Zone Alarm. it had a herusitic spyware and virus scanner included with it. They may be slow but they are thourough!
    The "free version" of ZoneAlarm has a spyware scan that works very nicely. As far as

how does one stop spyware getting on in the first instance?
    By using smart web browsing.

Check out my post on this site for list of tools I use to prevent and detect. Like nihil said, using a non-IE browser with Active-X and JAVA turned OFF will go a long way. Course you also need AV, and other applications.

My post