Burn down the house - XBOX 360

Thread: Burn down the house - XBOX 360

Burn down the house - XBOX 360

I came across this article where they talk about the new XBOX 360, man am I glad I'm not into hardcore gaming

Gamers' enthusiasm for the newly released Xbox 360 quickly waned after the first reports were posted online of problems with the machines crashing and overheating.
    Ok, that's not good ...Microsoft at it's best in my opinion ... but

ut the heat is on, and not for the first time. In February, Microsoft recalled power cords on the Xbox following reports of injuries due to defective electrical components. And a couple has sued Microsoft in a Texas court and claimed that the faulty design of an Xbox caused their house to burn down, according to an Inquirer story.

Say what !! ... Man ...Is this the new Microsoft .... I'll choose the crashing servers for 100* then thank you very much.

Source: Here

You have to read some of the comments on that page as well ...looks like M$ is in for some hard times.

I never new playing these games was that hot

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

There is nothing new here. At every major console launch there are stories of excessive failures, overheating issues and people payinig /way/ too much money for the new systems. Just think back to the ps/2 release, or even the original xbox release.

You always hear/see these people complaining that Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo is charging too much and that they have lost a customer for life. I call shenanigans, as my guess is that most of them are hardcore gamers to begin with and they will eventuallly buy the new system and games just because they are better than anything else on the market.

As to the fires, that is old news and only pertains to the old xbox. I haven't seen anything that attempts to link the faulty power cords to the new xbox release.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    btw: on the old xboxes MS sent me a new power cord for free, sure it coulda burned down my house i guess but i didnt have to pay anything to get it fixed lol
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

In my opinion, all these gaming systems are a waste of money..for me at least. After 1 month I don't even look at it anymore. I let the dust get to it. Ironically enough the only game system I've played for years is SNES and only one game..super mario :-P fun as hell lol
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Banned
    Dangerous power cords are nothing new, and not limited to Microsoft. IBM had to replace power cords for a line of the PS/2 (a 286 model), I remember, as did Apple on one of the older PowerMac's. Blame the fake UL stickers placed on products not even tested, and overseas sweatshop exploitation for the faulty, flakey, dangerous products.

Again, you get what you pay for.

Well this questions the credibility of the testing that takes place before the launch of these products. Had the testing been intense and thorough all the situations would have been considered. But it seems there were some flaws or carelessness there.

I think by having about 90% of the worlds computers under their belt Microsoft are not CARELESS about their products but rather are CAREFREE.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    I'd read the the crashing 360s was caused by the psu over heating and some users had solved it by lifting the psu block off the ground to let more air get to it.

I'd read the the crashing 360s was caused by the psu over heating and some users had solved it by lifting the psu block off the ground to let more air get to it.
    That's what I read as well ...hence the post ...it has nothing (not much that is) to do with the power cord ... It's the PSU overheating ..in my book something like that should not happen on a product that is backed by a company that is as big as Microsoft. (It should not happen on any product you pay good money for !).

Probably as someone allready pointed out, are the psu's made in some foreign factory with low QA and Product testing.

If I payed good money for a product that is used by children and there is a danger for burns or even a burned carpet/flooring ...and even in extremis the house, then something has to be done about it, and I will contact the firm that sold me the product (in this case it would be M$).

Anywho... that's just my opinion ... I know it is always been like this ...products are sold ...so called "child deseases" (free translation out of dutch ) are occuring , fixes are provided ... people frustrated but in the end all is well and the same people forget the missery they had in the first place.... Moral of the story ...always wait a certain time before buying a new device/item .

And that's all I have to say about that (Who said that ?)

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

i brought one of the 360's and i didn't really care for it much. fine it does this and that, but now i just see it as an expensive paper weight..
    damned thing got so hot, it won't even turn on now.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Got to agree with Cemetric, sounds like a rush job to get the things out for Xmas. They'd have been better to wait a little while and do it properly. It's not like the PS3 is dropping next week or anything. [thick][sarcasm]Not like microsoft to release a product with known problems and then try to fix it later[/sarcasm][/thick]

I never buy anything on first release. 1-it's expensive coz it's new and shiny 2-it's probably not finished 3-they don't know all the problems yet.

You never buy a brand new model of a car, you should wait a year or two until the worst of the recalls are over. Not unless you have another car.