Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: urgent

Listen SDK and DDK was just an example to state a point. Resetting the BIOS with the old memory configuration should fix the issue.

There is no reason to suspect any other hardware. The problem occurred after replacing the memory. Why look at the HDD first?

Can you give us the stop error? STOP: 0x00000000000000 something like this?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

foxy, both HardDrives that were connected had XP installed. However, one didn't work (My friends HD), mine did. Both sticksk were SDRAM, the only difference was the size of them. One was 64mb, the other two (the new one and the old one) are both 128mb.

It is not a BIOS issue since I have brought the HDD home with me, and attempted to boot it up, which didn't work. I also tried to reinstall Windows on it. It tells me that it is corrupted or needs formatting. So after getting approval to format from my friend, I will soon format it.

However, I still am wondering why the other 128 won't work. Tommorrow, I plan on running a series of 'Diagnostic tests' to see why it is that the 2 128mb RAM sticks won't work. I'm going to:
    1.) Try to boot up with the new 128mb RAM stick alone.
    2.) If that works, which I suspect it should, try to boot with 128mb and 64mb
    3.) If that works, sit wondering what could be the reason.

If I do in fact get to #3, my suspicion would/is be what MemorY told me, that the system board can't support that amount (256mb) of RAM. Keep in mind this computer is VERY old, it's a Dell. Any opinions on this?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hi,

If it won't take 256Mb it would have to be a 486?

As a rule of thumb, you can take the maximum strip size (128Mb in your case?) and multiply it by the number of slots.

I have an old Compaq deskpro that will take 4 x 8Mb EDO (72 pin) strips for a maximum of 32Mb

I also have a PI Digital that has 8 slots that will take 64Mb EDO RAM strips. I currently have it running Win98SE with 320Mb of RAM.

If I do in fact get to #3, my suspicion would/is be what MemorY told me, that the system board can't support that amount (256mb) of RAM. Keep in mind this computer is VERY old, it's a Dell. Any opinions on this?
    Yeah, I have working computers that are older than he is..........................

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi,

If it won't take 256Mb it would have to be a 486?

As a rule of thumb, you can take the maximum strip size (128Mb in your case?) and multiply it by the number of slots.

I have an old Compaq deskpro that will take 4 x 8Mb EDO (72 pin) strips for a maximum of 32Mb

I also have a PI Digital that has 8 slots that will take 64Mb EDO RAM strips. I currently have it running Win98SE with 320Mb of RAM.

Yeah, I have working computers that are older than he is..........................
    You may have computers older then him, but not Dell

Also, I don't get the whole rule of thumb thing..How do I know the maximum strip size?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hi,

Go here: http://www.crucial.com/

And use the memory finder tool to check out what the box will take.

My rule of thumb is based on the fact that you had 128 and 64 Mb strips working. So you must have at least two slots, and it will accept 128Mb strips, so it must support 256Mb at least.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    it it IS that old, there could be a picture in the lid of the box, showing layout on the Mo/Bo, it should also have a listing of what RAM it can take, and which slots take what ........ [ I had a 486 DX2 66MHz monster with the aforementioned listing]

and Raion, nihil meant he has PC's that are physically older than YOU

My oldest, now, is about 10 years old, it's a mint Gateway box with W95, and I doubled the EDOS RAM to 16 MB
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

You may have computers older then him, but not Dell
    My oldest Dell is a PII about 10 years old. It takes 128Mb SDRAM strips.

As part of your tests, can you try that memory strip on its own in another machine, it could be that the strip is defective.

well formatting did the trick, fixed the HD, now I have to take the HD over to his computer. He tells me that he's going to give me the RAM stick if it doesn't work (yay, i can use it! lol) so I'll be testing it on my box (rotten box at that ).

Wow a 10 year old PII Dell, you must not use it a lot I would never buy a Dell, I've always found it so hard to work with on the inside. I mess with my friends, aunts, and my schools Dells and can't stand them. I'm gonna check my system board manual to check if it supports 256MB, which it should. (I'm probably the only person who has a 5 year old computer with the manuals...intact, brand new.. )

(I'm probably the only person who has a 5 year old computer with the manuals...intact, brand new.. )
    Your not the only one.

I've got a Box that is nearly 10 years old, still got the original setup, got the manuals for it and everything, the monitor is starting to fleck up so i don't use it. Well at least try not to use it.
    Impressed this g33ky chick with it not that long ago.

f2b

Originally posted here by .:front2back:.
    Your not the only one.

I've got a Box that is nearly 10 years old, still got the original setup, got the manuals for it and everything, the monitor is starting to fleck up so i don't use it. Well at least try not to use it.
    Impressed this g33ky chick with it not that long ago.

f2b
    lmao nicee

Good news: After all this stress that this has caused me (making me do everything in a hurry to do everything ELSE on time...) He's giving me his RAM stick :-D and I checked MY manual, and it supports up to 2x 256mb yay for a total of 512mb. Plus ordering my new video card tommorrow..