Thread: AVG on Microsoft Exchange

AVG on Microsoft Exchange

Good morning AO.

Now that I've had my morning dose of coffee, I think I can post an intelligent question.

Currently I'm using Trend Micro for desktops and my exchange servers. The only issue I have with trend is the price.

Now before I go off and contact an AVG reseller (which will bring a slue of sales calls and emails) I would like to know if anyone is using AVG for Exchange.

If you are, comments, concerns.

Thanks in advance.

Dino
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

In all honesty I wouldn't use AVG on enterprise systems. I have never found AVG to be all that reliable. I would stick with Trend Micro, McAfee or Symantec. I have also heard many good things about Kaspersky and AntiVir.

Also I have had AVG (Free Version) picked up by some AntiSpyware scanners.

Are you using Corp version of Trend Micro?

If not I would suggest check the corp pricing of the AV products and see how they price.

Unfortunately I don't know that much about AVG for exchange. I did visit their website and looked through some of the documentation and there are a few things that scare me. First off, they don't say how they implement their virus scanning. Do they use VAPI or transport and MAPI scanning? Also their terminology is a little off. They say they do database check. Is this a background scan?

They also don't support exchange 2003, well, some sites say it does, other say it doesn't. Given that Exchange 2003 is really just a service pack for exchange 2000, there really isn't a need to not run 2003. I'm guessing that they don't support the new version of VAPI introduced in 2003. Which makes me believe that they are using VAPI2.0 to do their scanning. But they should have been able to introduce a 2003 compatible product by now. I'm guessing they do, and some of their resellers just have old information.

If they are using VAPI they could cause a lot of problems on a high load system. I've not seen a single good implementation of VAPI scanning other than Trendmicro. Groupshield sucks balls. I'm forced to use it, and I keep their developers busy with product improvements and bugs. I would not recommend GS6.0 at all. It's new process RPCserv.exe is a huge CPU hog. It got a lot better with 6.0.2, but it still uses 10% of my total processing power on an 8way xeon system.

That being said, they could also cause a lot of problems doing transport scanning or "transport sinks." If it is a low load system I wouldn't sweat it as long as you have a pretty beefy machine.

If you are looking at running 4000+ users per server on some serious hardware I would stick with Trendmicro preferably, or GS if it is cheaper and cost is a concern. GS6.0.2 will work with a high load system, I've just had so many problems with groupshit, I mean shield, over the years that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

mohaughn:

Do they use VAPI or transport and MAPI scanning?
    Good point. I missed that!

I think I'll stick with trend on the exchange server.

As most of you know it's budget time and it's always the same thing every year. "Cut costs"

Hey Hey,

Interesting thread, solely because I also have Trend Micro right now and our license is up in 2 months... The previous IT guy had left suggestions of a change to Symantec (not something I'm a big fan of) and to me McAfee is just as bad as eTrust (which I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole)... Trend has always been my favourite in the AV world... however I'd never considered AVG for an enterprise solution...

I think it's time to do some investigating... For me, it's what'll catch the most viruses and Trend always seems to come out on top for keeping up and releasing defs... I also like their 4 hour response time on updated rules if you have their Service Level Agreement... not that we do.. but it impresses me.

Peace,
    HT

HT

I don't have the SLA either but The few times I had to call Trend, the response time was less than 2 hours.

Everything I've read said Trend is the way to go for M$ Exchange. But It's a hefty price. I looked at dumping Office Scan (Trends enterprise desktop AV) but If I do that the exchange AV price goes UP.

And IMO Symantec SUCKS ASS! on Exchange (did i say that out loud?)