Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition To Stop The Ban On The Use Of "Christmas" By Major Retailers

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3

Petition To Stop The Ban On The Use Of "Christmas" By Major Retailers

The American Family Association (AFA) has started a petition to stop the ban on the use of the word Christmas by major Retailers.

Several retailers have joined in the push to ban the use of "Christmas" in their in-store promotions and retail advertising. The new push to ban "Christmas" and replace it with "Happy Holidays," "Season's Greetings," etc. is gaining ground with several retailers participating.

So far, the list includes Kmart, Sears, Kohl's, Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, JC Penney, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Kroger, Office Max, Walgreens, Staples, J.C. Penney, Dell and Best Buy.

Update: Lowe's has removed all "Holiday Tree" signs and now refer to ALL trees at "Christmas Trees."
    If you are interested in signing a petition to help stop this ban (it's really quick) you can "sign your name" here.

I realize many of the members here are not christians...and that's fine. However, I think this fight is about more than that...it's about cowering down to the minority, being overly PC, etc.

Merry Christmas!

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Down with Big Brother!
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

I'm with you....

Every year Halifax Nova Scotia donates a Christmas Tree to the city of Boston as a thank you for the aid they gave our city during the Halifax Explosion and everything was peachy keen, until this year someone in Boston decided that they were going to call it the "Holiday Tree".

Put it in the woodchipper

Boy did that raise a stink

The Mayor has since decided once and for all that it will be referred to as the "Christmas Tree" good for him for not knuckling under the PC weanies.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    From the CIA World Factbook: Religions in the U.S.

Protestant 52%, Roman Catholic 24%, Mormon 2%, Jewish 1%, Muslim 1%, other 10%, none 10% (2002 est.)
    There is nothing wrong with different religions, however, I didn't realize Protestants and Catholics were that much of the majority. We're catering to 24% of the population.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Hmm seems that you have to be living in America to be able to participate in this petition..
    Any one wanna cast a vote on my behalf..?...

f2b:.

This PC stuff is sort of ludicrous.........we have a large lebanese community here, and they smile and laugh at the sort of goings on that PC people get to, they understand that it is a christian holiday and fits with the christian faith.

The way I see it, if we the majority have to PC everything christian related, then the other religions should do the same (not!!!) if you think the Jews would give up their named holidays to something else or the muslims then think again, they would take it as a direct attack on their faith and they would be right.

So why are we different in that regard, are we overly sensitive to others, has anyone really asked those "others" if calling a nice big fir a "Christmas Tree" are they offended?? I am not really big on religion as such, but I am anti PC of any sort, to me a fisherman is still a fisherman, but here on the East Coast the media refers to them as fisherpeople (LOL) chairperson, etc the list goes on.

A rose by any other name is still a rose.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Originally posted here by .:front2back:.
    Hmm seems that you have to be living in America to be able to participate in this petition..
    Any one wanna cast a vote on my behalf..?...

f2b:.

You can still sign it... State = Other... Zip/Postal Code = 00000 (the only cheque is an IsNumeric)

Peace,
    HT

I think anyone with half a brain can see the how ridiculous this political correctness has gotten...starting out it was a way to elevate the status of women and minorities by removing the names associated with the appearance of servitude...eg. stewardess-hostess-flight atendant...

then it was used to in the general workplace to elevate the status of servitude jobs....eg. janitor-caretaker-building maintenance worker...

then it started to branch out into other areas of our lives...from raising the level of status to removing any semblance of offensiveness...eg. removing prayer in school...

I remember a time when Jehovah Witnesses and people of other faiths were allowed to leave the room during the Lord's Prayer and the reciting of the National Athem...if they were offended by such...

that was good enough then and should be good enough now...the rights and privileges of the many are being superceded by the rights of the few...blah!

If they don't like it...they can leave the room!

These other religions need to get a sense of humor...christians...and I use that word lightly...at least don't get their gonads up about things the way some other religions do...look at Santa, a perfect example of a guy inflitrating a major christian celebration and intead of getting all twisted about it it's become an accepted part of the holiday...

the jews and muslims and a few others need to lighten up...loosen those belt strings, they're cutting off circulation to their brains.

Eg

Well I respect even one's freedom of choice and will defend it till death. And as I pull out a dollar bill from my wallet or look at coins from my pocket; they all say "In God We Trust". That sums it up for me. So, oh yeah... I'll be glad to sign up.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

People, particularly retailers, have a problem with the word "Christmas" because it is the last remnant reminding us that December isn't about shopping. By removing the word Christmas from the holiday, all identifiable ties to any sort of religon will be gone. Thus, instead of going to church with reverence to leave with salvation, we'll go to the malls with money and leave with products. I think retailers prefer that kind of homage.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic