Thread: Transfer rate and Protocols

Transfer rate and Protocols

What protocol is fast in LAN?
    Does network protocol speed depends on what architecture it have?

Is it some not usual protocols (not TCP/IP or not depends on TCP/IP) can be used to connect to internet or to router and then to internet?
    // too far away outside of limit

AOs Resident Troll
    I guess it depends if your router supports other protocols?

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    I guess it depends if your router supports other protocols?

MLF
    yes I know, but does them exist?
    // too far away outside of limit

The internet is tcp/ip based, so that would keep your exotic protocols "indoors". Unless you have a cisco router or sumtin alike, one that supports IPX/SPX, IS-IS, Appletalk or other, and you need to learn other protocols and play with, i would stick to tcp/ip. Actually mostly the speed of your lan depends on the hardware and settings you got and which bottelenecks you create.

A few good tips to speed up a lan :

- Check all nics, on your boxes and switches, for speed and set them on 100Mb/s Full Duplex (or higher if possible).
    - Also it makes a big difference if you e.g. ftp data to a server with a harddisk with 5400 rpm or a server with a scsi-controlled harddrive (which sits around 10000 rpm if i'm not mistaken).
    I don't believe you would even be able to use up a whole 100Mb/s with a non-scsi drive.
    - A switch is always better than a hub since a switch makes port-2-port channels during a session.
    If you have big lan's it might be better to segment it in several networks with a layer 3 node ( e.g. a router ) which reduces broadcast-traffic, etc etc ...

Hope this helps

This might be a good place to start :

http://www.infosyssec.net/infosyssec/netprot1.htm

Or if the protocol you are about to use is actually routable! not all protocols are routable!

If you are talking about connecting to the internet through router, you need to use a routable protocol! Like it has to have a Route Discovery Protocol!
    TCP/IP uses both, Open Shortest Path First {OSPF} and Routing Information Protocol {RIP}!

You must know that also routers have a say about the speed of your network! Let me explain briefly!
    Every router has a routing table! How the information gets to that routing table actually plays a key role in the speed! and they are:

1- Static Routing: here admins update the routing table, this is no more used anymore!
    2- Dynamic routing: This is use two categories of route discovering protocols, and they are Distance Vector and Link Stat!
    Distance Vector Broadcasts packets {the whole routing table} to other router like {IRP} every 30 seconds!
    While Link state which uses multicasting, which send only the updates to other routers! Here Link state is by far more efficient!

TCP/IP uses both connection types, TCP for connection-oriented which requires reliable end-to-end flow and error control! and UDP for connectionless which trade reliability for speed!

We have IPX/SPX and XNS too! But TCP/IP the dominating! and is the protocol of choice!
    Why do you want to shift from TCP/IP, it provides with the most powerful set of protocols!
    After all I don't think you need to change to another protocol, TCP/IP is th best!

I hope I helped a bit!

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

1- Static Routing: here admins update the routing table, this is no more used anymore!
    I wouldn't underestimate the use of static routing. It is still very commonly used, as its fast and easy if you only have a few networks to route, whereas a link state protocol like OSPF can be a heavy load on your router. IMO OSPF is very good, very dynamic and very solid but in not much of use if you only have to route a few known networks.

Cheers

It was used in the past and no longer used these days, unless we have some admins who want to waste time and effort updating and selecting ports ...

I forgot to mention that OSPT is for TCP/IP and NetWork Link Services Protocol {NLSP} is for IPX/SPX.
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster