Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No More Sygate Firewall

Angry No More Sygate Firewall

I did a quick search but didn't see this posted.

http://news.com.com/Symantec+scraps+...l?tag=nefd.top
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

*shrugs* I thought this was old (meaning posted before, but old news as well). Heh..
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hi Spyder,

I posted the fall and decline of the Kerios Firewall a little while back...maybe that's what you're thinking?

By pulling the Sygate Personal Firewall, Symantec is further reducing the options for people looking for a free firewall for their computer. Sygate offered the Sygate Personal Firewall at no cost and sold Sygate Personal Firewall Pro. Kerio Technologies has previously said it will discontinue its desktop firewall at the end of this year.
    Consumers looking for a free firewall still have options. These include Zone Labs' Zone Alarm, Microsoft's Windows Firewall and Jetico.

Boy am I glad I went with Zone Alarm from the beginning ...all those threads people were making months ago on who had the best firewall...blah!...looks like Zone Baby's winning the whole pot

Eg

Good thing I didn't get that job with Sygate. I'd probably be looking for a new job AGAIN! HAHA

Ya know I think Symantec purposefully tries to screw up every product they acquire.

And yet ZA still sucks, Sorry Eg.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Hoopy Frood
    Sofware firewall are for wimps. Do what I do. I have 30 kids in my basement manually filtering out all of my TCP/IP traffic based on rules I told them. They're all convicted cyberterrorists and their United States citizenship has been declared null and void, effectively making it so that they have no home country. So basically, they're just my stateless inspection firewall.

On a more serious side, what's your opinion of ZA, Eg? I've been wary of it since a bad experience a few years ago. Is the free version extremely gimped?

Edit: Why do you say ZA sucks, Korp?

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    what caught MY eye :
    Consumers looking for a free firewall still have options. These include Zone Labs' Zone Alarm, Microsoft's Windows Firewall and Jetico.

M$ are going to get into the top three of free F/W's after all
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hi KorpDeath,

1. Good to see ya around!
    And yet ZA still sucks, Sorry Eg

Hi xierox,

On a more serious side, what's your opinion of ZA, Eg? I've been wary of it since a bad experience a few years ago. Is the free version extremely gimped?
    I haven't had a single problem with it that I'm aware of...but I don't rely on it solely...I also have the usual AVG and SpyWareBlaster at the door...and AdWare, SpyBot, CCleaner, CWShredder waiting inside...only two viral infections ever, no trojans or anything else...and I managed to get rid of both on my own.

I'd recommend it...but I don't click on anything I don't know, don't open e-mail's I don't know about, don't visit sites that look suspicious, don't buy anything off the net...so...that probably helps too.

Eg

Hoopy Frood
    Ever run a test like ShieldsUp (www.grc.com) against it while not behind a router, Eg? If so, how did it fair with stealthing ports?

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Hi xierox,

Now you're asking me questions I can't answer ...went to your link and clicked ' proceed ' and got a pop-up saying that it's an unecrypted network...so I cancelled.

Eg

good = more money on sale ¿
    bad = how to help poor users ?

almost no more free left

ZA has bugs and compatibility problem with some AV's and some other products and it not fixed yet, i think
    // too far away outside of limit