Server 2003 Configuration Issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server 2003 Configuration Issues

Server 2003 Configuration Issues

I'm building a small text network at home with Server 2003 & a few XP Pro workstations. I've completed installation and the network topology includes the workstations and server connected to a switch which is connected to a router.

I have finished all the installations and ran DCPROMO to build up my AD on the Server. I have the Server configured as a DNS Server and it is pointing to itself. Its secondary DNS Server is the router, still running that feature.

The workstations are configured to pick up IPs from the router through DHCP. I statically entered in the ip address of the Server for the primary DNS and have the router as the secondary.

Here is where I ran in to some problems. I wasn't able to ping anything. I figured that it had to do with the firewalls, so I configured each workstation to allow Remote Desktop & allow ICMP.

Now I'm able to ping the desktops from the Server, but unable to ping the Server.

I decided to try and do the same to the Server. I clicked on the Windows Firewall icon and it gave me the message, "Windows Firewall cannot run because another program or service is running that might use the network address translation component (Ipnat.sys).

BTW, I have three NICs on my Server.

I also tried adding my workstations to my domain, but was given a DNS error that basically said that the domain did not exist.

Thanks in advance.

AOs Resident Troll
    I would plug one of the Server nic s into the router, another into the switch...all your clients into the switch and let your server handle the dns, internet, dhcp....

KISS

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    In keepin with MLF's KISS

connect everything to the switch [server / router / stations] set IP to automatic at first.
    set router to hand out IP's in the range you want, set to permanent IP when it all runs.

you HAVE set a domain ?
    AND joined the workstations to it ?

My system is set the same as yours [more or less] and I too had this same problem, I put the workstations back to workgroup and then re-joined to the domain.

Still not sure why they flopped in the first place, but it was my first set up attempt
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I created a domain and I'm attempting to add the workstations to it. The trouble is, there isn't any connectivity between workstations and Server. I think it has to be the Firewall on the Server. I can ping workstations and not the Server.

disable the F/W

disconnect from the WWW first
    try it now .......

* me racks what little is left of brain to remember WTF I did to get mine up and running ..........

[edit]
    just go in and check that all settings for IP are set to be done automatically
    OLDER yes

II tried Disabling the Firewall, but it gave me the error, "Windows Firewall cannot run because another program or service is running that might use the network address translation component (Ipnat.sys)."

I also figured it could possibly be a DNS issue. I know that every says that if a server is hooked up to an intranet, you should only use your DNS Servers IP and create a Foward Lookup. I set up the Forward Lookup and Reverse Lookup with the DNS Manager and have all 4 folders. I also ran DCDiag.exe to see if there was an issue, but my server passed all perameters.

Edit: i also tried disabling my NIC card before I disabled the Firewall, but it gave me the same error.

have you tried to disable the server from DNS ?
    just let the router do it for a while ?

and again, set stations to get IP's automatically at first.
    lets get it all joined up first

can you access the web from the server ?
    can you access the web from a station ?

what is ipconfig/all telling you on the stations / server ?

[eddit]
    when my station wouldn't see the domain / the DNS error you are getting coming up .....

I set a fixed IP, within the range I'd set into the ADSL router I use [10.0.0.1 / 10.0.0.25]
    then I joined the domain ............

I can't remember what else I'd bolloxed up sorry

but it was basically, that I'd tried to set fixed IP's, with server as DNS and DCHP.
    with, at first, an ADSL modem as the link.
    ADSL router fitted

router > switch
    server > switch
    stations > switch

set network connections to get IP automatically
    set up router as DNS

all ran good

am in the process of setting fixed IP's and having all services in house as it were ....
    OLDER yes

On the Server:

The Server is set up as its own DNS server, but also has the router as the secondary DNS Server.

I could be wrong here, but I was always under the impression that Active Directory needs to have its own DNS server. I usually create my zones before I set up through DCPromo, but I do know dcpromo sets one up for you (unless it's an option).

The Server is able to access the web.
    IPConfig tells me the ip address of the Server
    DNS:192.168.1.149
    DNS:192.168.1.1

The workstations are able to access the web.
    They are dynamically assigned IP addresses from the router.
    I manually assigned them to use the DNS Server first and then the router.
    ipconfig:
    DNS:192.168.1.110

what name have you given the domain ?

I used 'home'
    the system added '.local' to the address
    I join to 'home.local'

DNS:192.168.1.1

DNS:192.168.1.110
    is this a typo ?
    can you just use the one DNS for now ?
    the 149 = server ?
    110 = a workstation ??
    OLDER yes

Hey,

Is your DCOM service running (check in services) ...if it's not then your firewall will also not be running.

The Windows 2003 Firewall depends on that service. So if the firewall isn't running then this will not be the reason for the communications error I guess ??

You're right about AD needing it's own DNS, without it , it will not work ...although it is theoretically possible to use an existing DNS server (even a linux one), but does not come recommended by M$ .

Also ..I do not see a gateway anywere ... the router is the gateway right ? ...So the gateway should be the same as 192.168.1.1 (if that is the router) ... And I think it's not necessary to have the secondary DNS pointing to the router ...you use forwarding so ...

Anyway ...if you can check the DCOM ...maybe it will help , help on the way

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.