Thread: Java and IE proxy question

Java and IE proxy question

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this issue before and if there is a registry setting or global type fix for the problem. We're using a proxy.pac file to set IE for all of our user machines to connect to our internet proxy server. We do this for security and monitoring this part is working.

Our problem comes when users try to use java because java 1.5.0_02 does not seem to have the ability to automatically pull the proxy settings from internet explorer. It is not a feasible solution to have our technicians sit at each machine and set this setting for each user. It is a slightly less viable solution to have all of our techs go to each machine and install the new 1.5.1 version of java. We are going to have to make new machine images after the christmas season but we will need this working before then. Java does not play well with MSIs for install so that is out as well.

This thread is almost exactly what our problem is but there is no solution provided besides upgrading to the new java which is not within our timetable.

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp...sageID=3097295

I have not personally checked in the registry, but I have been assured by others in my department that the setting is not there. Anyone ran into a similar problem or have the ability to point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for the help.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    It is not a feasible solution to have our technicians sit at each machine and set this setting for each user. It is a slightly less viable solution to have all of our techs go to each machine and install the new 1.5.1 version of java.
    Simply, install it on the server. Then from their just share it out to the rest of the workstations. Beats sitting at each workstation manually installing Java.

I like the thinking, but Java has to be installed on each machine that is running Java web pages. The normal means of what you're talking about doing would be to push a new java 1.5.1 version out to each workstation with the use of MSIs, at least thats how microsoft networks normally run these things. Java and MSI do not work properly. If there is another way you're talking about please explain.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

This is more or less hindsight, but did the machines have the old version of java (JRE) if it did then the autoupdater would have done this for you on each PC if enabled.So I am assuming this is not the case and these boxes never had Java installed at all, are these OEM's or straight out of the box WinXP's, are we even talking Xp's.

What is your time limit, the install is not lengthy with broadband (Dial up and your on your own) and instead of messing with the registry just do the install JRE Version 5 for the amount of time to get at registry permissions and keys the install would be done. (in the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT) should be a folder marked javawebstart.installed.1.4.2.0 or javawebstart.installed 1..5.0.0, if the 1.4.2.0 is there, then do an update by seeing if the java icon is in control panel select the icon and open the Java Control Panel, if it is there, then select the update tab and let it download.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson