Thread: Why my system is shutting down?

Why my system is shutting down?

Hi All,
    I am very new to antionline. I am facing some problem I hope this forum will help me to overcome from this problem.
    I am using AMD Processor, with ASUS Motherboard and 256MB DDR RAM, with 40 GB Seagate HDD. I have loaded Windows 98 Second Edition.
    My problem is that the system will shut down automatically when i am working. Then i have to again start the system then scandisk will be running.
    This problem is not allow me to work for 20 min it will be shut down within 20 min.
    Also i have UPS of 5 hour backup so that power fluctuation is not the reason.
    Can anybody help me to come over from this problem? What is the actual reason behind my problem? Any software related problem or Hardware related problem.

Regards,
    Nataraj Asture
    98807 68549
    Nataraj Asture
    Bangalore Consulting Inc.
    #12, EPIP, Near ITPL
    whitefield road
    Bangalore-560066
    Phone: +91-80-51157194
    Mobile: +91-9880768549

Just Another Geek
    It might be heat related.. Check to make sure all the fans are still spinning..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I have checked all fans are running. Is this any virus attack I dont have any antivirus.
    Nataraj Asture
    Bangalore Consulting Inc.
    #12, EPIP, Near ITPL
    whitefield road
    Bangalore-560066
    Phone: +91-80-51157194
    Mobile: +91-9880768549

hi and welcome to AO,
    It will be just little bit of help if you mention which amd processor and which mothereboard and which memory type, power supply , video card etc.
    It can be a million reason why this happens so if you post as many info as possible that can be narrowed down little bit.
    Amd are processor which run fust and generate little bit more heat.
    Look into setings>control power>power option that everything there is properly ticked.
    You can look into BIOS sometimes pc restarts if reaches certain temperature.
    i have Asus motherboard and they have little utility which is called asus probe (just google for download) or go to www.asus.com.
    This little utility will show you all your voltages and memory usages and temperature.
    Pay attention on temperature readings.Set treshold to 50-60 c even though amd can go to 85-90 C by asus specification (which i wouldnt like to push that far ). Download it from here:
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...e/1053033598/1
    Post please which motherboard you have.
    Does your pc freeze at all or just restarts sudenly?
    more info and i am sure you will get your answer corect.
    You can always look search on this site what has been posted already( about same problems) and at the same time learn little bit more about hardware.
    good luck

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by nataraj.asture
    I have checked all fans are running. Is this any virus attack I dont have any antivirus.
    It could be virus related... Why don't you have any anti-virus? Do you have a firewall? How long ago did you do Windows Update?

You can use an online virus scanner to check your sytem....
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AOs Resident Troll
    AMDs run hot.....

I think SirDice is right on the money there.

Have you tried safe mode??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Another thing to try:

1. Boot into setup and turn off all power savings options.
    2. Go into control panel and display settings and do the same. set the screensaver to "none"

http://www.ewido.net/en/
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Download those, install them, update them.Then reboot into safe mode and run them. Let them delete abnything that they find.