Thread: Hard disk corrupted???

Hard disk corrupted???

Hello all!
    I have a Samsung SP1614N since february 2005. Up to now it was working great! Quiet, fast - just great! But on Monday a strange thing happened. The PC hanged up. I restarted - windows tried to load but it was impossible(it restarted by itself) then I tried to go in Safe mode - mission impossible. It was boooting and while doing that, it restarted. I tried to load Linux, but suddenly I realised that the boot manager for loading both OS was missing. Good then I puted the instalation CD of Linux and tried to start it from there. The instalation started and hanged up on the moment looking for the hard drive .
    Then I took the instalation disk of Windows. It loaded. I came to the screen where I must choose on which partition I wish to install. I took C: and said format it. The format started well, but suddenly it stopped on 8% and it took to him more than 1 hour to go to 14%. From 15% it was again running normally. But when It reached 100% it told me that the partition was impossible to format.
    I took my old Quantum 13GB and installed windows on it. Then as a slave I puted the Samsung SP1614N. I can see all the partition that I've created: D, E, F and so on. I can copy the documentes from them.
    Partition C is also to see, but it is telling me that I have to format it. Good, I did it. This time I didn't get an error message. I could fill it up with documents and it didn't hang up. Then I said: "It must be OK, I will install windows on it" I tried to do it - this time I leaved C untouched, but while copying the files necessary for the instalation it told me that it can not create a folder and that it can not continue.
    What do you think? Is the disk corrupted? Shall I look for my warranty or I can use a tool to repair it?
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

I read this tread:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=257297

I downloaded this tool:
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/Hard...ties/hutil.htm

I made an MS_dos diskette. And I started it. I get the let me say lecense screen and I have to pres (y) for yes and (n) for no. I do it but nothing happen. Do you have any idea why?
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

Just Another Geek
    What do you think? Is the disk corrupted? Shall I look for my warranty or I can use a tool to repair it?
    Sounds like it's corrupt. Look for your warranty and return it.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Just be sure to delete any data on the hdd that you would consider to be even somewhat sensitive before returning it, that includes all those nekkid pictures you have
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin