Thread: Search AO with 2 letter words

Search AO with 2 letter words

I suggest to upgrade AO search engine in order to accept words
    of less than 3 letters, there are so many words in the computer industry
    with just 2 letters, and for examples:

IP
    AV
    ZA

I know that these are simply acronyms but since they are more popular to use,
    searching for these words will sometimes produce different results.

Cheers,
    B.B

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    as they are acronyms, why not type in the full name, to get a better result ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Or you could just go to GOOGLE and do your little 2 lettered search there..

or to beat the search restrictions just press the space bar then enter the 2 letter's in and press enter, or something like that...

Also i'm pretty sure if memory servers correctly JP configured it to be 3 letter/digit minimum for a particular reason, just type search into the search engine and something should come up about this..

f2b

as they are acronyms, why not type in the full name, to get a better result ?
    You don't get, do you?
    I'm searching to find all the threads that are related to my problem, how can it be a better
    result if I'm missing out on those other posts that are using acronyms!

you could just go to GOOGLE and do your little 2 lettered search there..
    Thank you, but I already know the difference between Google and AO

to beat the search restrictions just press the space bar then enter the 2 letter's in and press enter, or something like that...
    well, here's another suggestion for you,
    Test them before you post them.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    nice attitude broomie .........

but at least you ARE using the search feature .......
    maybe a PM to mnstrgrl as she is THE programmer [sp] for AO, and it is really up to her whether anything is done ............
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Broomiebar,

2 character searches will bring up far more than just the acronym you'd be looking for so it tends to be somewhat an unrealistic search. What you can try is adding the * to your search. For example, I did a search for ZA* but ended up with over 350 pages here.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Well I think Broomie has a valid reason. Foxy, many members might have only written the acronyms in their posts since they are considered very well-known. And MsM, he's looking for exact match of ZA, not ZA*.

And speaking about google, Broomie, try googling "site:www.antionline.com za" (w/o quotes) and see if you get a better result. I think AO should "outsource" their search facility to google.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Hey Hey,

I'd have to say I agree with Broomiebar and jdenny as well.

First off that * makes a big difference in the search.... that'd be like doing "ls t" vs "ls t*" in a console...

I just tried to do "Event ID 1008" to find an older post of mine... forgetting I couldn't do two-letter words... How many members have tried to search for Windows XP and had problems... Windows NT even.. there's really no way to breakdown the versions of Windows... Even 2000 is usually written as 2K...

While Broomiebar might not have had the best response in his/her reply... it is a valid suggestion...

Peace,
    HT

Smile everyone,

I'm sorry Foxy if I was a little fiery but I felt that I was been misunderstood and
    wanted to clarify my point, before any more members keep lashing out on me.

I just tried to do "Event ID 1008" to find an older post of mine... forgetting I couldn't do two-letter words... How many members have tried to search for Windows XP and had problems... Windows NT even.. there's really no way to breakdown the versions of Windows... Even 2000 is usually written as 2K...
    Thank you HTregz & Jd, this is exactly what I'm talking about, the 2 letter words are
    usually part of a series of other words.

try googling "site:www.antionline.com za" (w/o
    Well...if it works on google and yes it does, I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed
    here as well.

Cheers,
    B.B

We discussed this some time ago, and JP let us know why we couldn't have two letter searching: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=257547