Looking for a new wireless router
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new wireless router

Looking for a new wireless router

I wasn't sure where to put this post, but I figured that this could come close. I want to find a wireless router that is very efficient (cost/work), while providing the ability to be configured to be extremely safe.

I'm looking in the price range of 50-100 (US).

So far been looking at 802.11g with WEP & WPA2.

Also, does anyone have a tutorial about wireless routers and their attributes?

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

I have a linksys router and im very satified with it. as for the tut, try looking under the tutorials here.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

I have had a lot of problems with Belkin routers over the last few years, overheating, constantly needing power cycling etc, so I would not reccomend them to you!

Allthough it may just be a case of me getting shitty ones, i dont know!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Lynksys router. The fact that they are owned by Cisco makes them sound more appealing. What model do you recommend?

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I would suggest this : http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

thats the one I have, and i have had no probs with it... I did update the firmware just as a precationary measure

fyi: I also had a netgear router before this one and never had any probs with it either.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Just my $.02:

Linksys Router: The WRT54G and GS are very popular since they open sourced it. Two 3rd parties that have written firmware for it that expands the capabilities are Sveasoft's Talisman / Alchemy and OpenWRT. Just dont expect Linksys to cover it if you install 3rd party firmware. You get a lot of functionality for around $50-70, comparable to some of the few hundred dollars. Just dont expect too much reliablity. I junked mine after resetting it a lot of times ( I think the count was probably around 30-40 ). I'm currently using the WET54G, very very nice piece of hardware for the money. But its not a router .

D-Link: Cant really say I like them. The one that I had kept rebooting and in general was pretty annoying. I didnt really like the user interface either.

Belkin: Currently using the Pre-N router. Lots of range, user interface is decent. Didnt have the issue with power cycling and what not. Had it for about 2-3 months? Havent had any issues with it yet. Interface is clean and simple.

Cisco: Currently using the 877W. What can I say, its a Cisco. Top notch reliablity, havent had any issues yet ( aside from misconfiguration, but thats because of me not the hardware ). The web interface is simple enough, but doesnt really show the true capabilities of what it can do. I would probably only go along this route if you're in the computer field and want to learn IOS or if it offers the features you need ( which is quite extensive ).

I just picked up a Netgear WGR614 from Circuit City. Not impressed so far. It worked for a few hours, then stopped all of a sudden. It got to the point that I couldn't even log into the router. I had to just use my modem. I'll give it another shot tonight. I'll update teh firmware and see how things go. If they don't go well, at least I can bring it back.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Unfortunately, I've noticed a trend in the Netgear devices becoming slowly but surely less dependable, as we forray deeper into the field of rf-networking. D-Link hasn't seemed much better in my opinion.

My Belkin has worked great, but I have heard complaints, as others here have mentioned. I'd suggest the Linksys by far.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I would have gone with the linksys that people have been mentioning, but I read that the versions that they have are great, but the one that is currently out for sell isn't all that great. I read that v5 doesn't support firmware and has many issues.

I read about a few Netgear routers having powering issues. They consume too much power and tend to overheat. Didn't see anything about the one I purchased, but it does feel pretty hot in comparison to other routers. I'll download the firmware and give it another shot tonight.

If not, I think I'll boost up the amount I spend on a router so I at least get something with better quality. I originally had one of them Westell wireless router/dsl modem deals. The thing was horrible. It went out, tech support was horrible; took three shots with their techs on the phone to send a request for someone to look at it; took him a week to come over to say it was a bad; waited a week and then found out he forgot send the request for a replacement; requested a replacement and given a modem to borrow and then finally sent a regular modem. Well, of course I complained like crazy and was told I would get 1 month free and was given an extra 2 months because I told them I wanted to get my own wireless router.

thats ridiculous, i have a netgear from a while ago, with wep and wpa, works great, its a model MR814v2 and ive updated the firmware. ive had no trouble. have wep and passwords set, check logs, and ive found its been blocking any attacks ive mounted testing.

for a while i had neighbors mooching off my connection, at first i just blocked a few ports and hoped theyd get off, thought about access control. then they started going to sites that weren't appropriate (showed allowed connections on my router) so i set up weps and no more problems.

any port scans friends have done or trojans they try to connect to have been blocked, except a very few, so it works great in my opinion

ive heard good things about linksys and cisco who apparently owns them, so i guess it comes down to risk (although a very low risk, which apparently u've hit on your first try) of getting a potentially bad netgear or paying the extra for a perfect linksys
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum