Thread: 180 sues Zone Labs

Frustrated Mad Scientist

180 sues Zone Labs

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12...ues_zone_labs/

180 is sueing Zone Labs because it classes it's 'advertising client' as spyware.

Now I always thought 180 was a drive by downloader. I've also found it an absolute bastard to get rid of.

Now that sounds like spyware to me

I've also found it an absolute bastard to get rid of.
    Absolutely a B*tch to get rid of, I suppose this guy Ben Edelman will be on the Defendants side of the case, I can't believe 180 has the nerve to do this, anyone who has experienced this piece of crap, should apply to have a seat at the trial so they can be ready to counter sue the Bstds.

Once installed on users' PCs, 180 software performs four main functions:

1. 180 transmits to its servers information about the web sites that users visit. Each transmission bears a domain name (or other trigger condition), as well as a unique user ID that lets 180 build profiles of users' online activities. Details
    2. 180 shows popup ads, which generally cover substantially all of the targeted web sites. In my testing, 180 typically covers web sites with the sites of their competitors. details
    3. 180 shows duplicate copies of merchants' sites, where the second copy has been reached via an affiliate link. As a result, merchants pay commissions to 180 (and its advertisers) on the resulting purchases. details
    4. 180 opens hidden windows with invisible copies of merchants' sites, where the invisible sites are reached via affiliate links. As a result, merchants pay commissions to 180 (and its advertisers) on the purchases of affected users. Since 180's activities are silent and (to a user watching the computer's screen) invisible, this behavior is particularly difficult to detect.details
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson