Fire damage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire damage

Banned

Unhappy Fire damage

OK... I was very tired and I was called out to fix the computer again...

Unfortunately... I had run out of airduster... Needed to reseat the RAM, etc. The thing had a major dust problem...

I grab the closest thing I can find... A can of butane. After jury rigging a pair of pliers on the can to act as a trigger, I started dusting the motherboard...

Minor fire later...

The onboard video no longer works... I get an AGP card in there and it boots again... Unfortunately I discovered that the onboard video, serial ports, and parallel port are no longer working. Also... the USB is acting up as well.

Any ideas?

minor fire later...do explain.

My thought though....get a new one.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Banned
    Thankfully it's not mine.

Unfortunately, it's the main computer I use.

Minor fire later...
    My guess ... Light flamable gas ... static electricity and/or Condensators trickling their captivated electricity ... Not a good mix.

I'm with Noia ..get a new motherboard ...you will have problems using that anyway (if it works at all).

Bummer though

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Hmmmm,

Not something that I would have done, although I must admit that the fire does surprise me.

My thinking would be the principles of refrigeration, latent heat and all that. Liquid butane is damn cold, and quite likely to damage components, particularly as they are at room temperature to begin with. Let's face it, ALL liquid gases are damn cold.

Your airdudster is compressed, not liquid.

I am afraid that you need a new MoBo

Too bad you didn't have a camera on hand. That video would
    be worth money.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted here by nihil
    Your airdudster is compressed, not liquid.
    Yes it is, its liquid CO2. If you acctualy use the air-dusters close-up to something you'll acctualy see small crystals form for a split second. The other dead give away is that the can goes "sqwulp" when you shake it
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

turn the crap upside down and spray it next time Noia and tell me what you see
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Banned
    Never doing that again.

NEVER.

But it was really cool. I hooked up a ps2 mouse, and everything works normally. I'm just going to pretend that anything that doesn't work broke on its own.

I'm just going to pretend that anything that doesn't work broke on its own.
    Thats the way to go lol
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin