Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VM

VM

Hummmmm...questions...

1. AVG says I have three viruses all located in the jar file...which I have isolated...all related to an old exploit MS03-011...so...I go to update/microsoft and it says to check to see if I have VM on my Windows 2000 SP 4...run cmd says it's not installed so I can't download any updates to a non-existant file...
    now...my questions...

1a. if I don't have VM then how is it possible I got viruses that exploit VM???

2. is the jar file necessary to the operation of the computer in any way...or can I just delete the whole file???

3. To the best of my knowledge I uninstalled java some time ago...which is why every time I post I get that pop-up saying I need plug-ins...so...if the jar file is a java file and just a left-over edifice can I just delete it...or does it serve a function for the ' normal ' operation of the computer???

Without VM or Java on my computer it's strange how these viruses got onto my machine???

Thanks,

Eg

Just Another Geek
    1a) You probably received the jar file from some site.. It probably tried to exploit the non-existant VM and failed...

2) nuke it.

3) nuke it.. It cannot execute without an JVM so it's no use anyway..

IIRC it'll download the jar file anyway before it'll realise there's no JVM to execute it in..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi Sir Dice,

Done...nuked and gone.

Thanks,

Eg

EDIT: just ran another full scan...back to clean.

To the best of my knowledge I uninstalled java some time ago...
    Are you sure?

What OS are you running?

As I recall, because of licensing issues when XP first shipped is shipped without a java VM. Some time later, Microsoft and Sun worked things out, Microsoft then released an update that contained a M$ version of VM. ( I am assuming later releases shipped with it. )

There was a warning that once the M$ VM was installed it could not be uninstalled.

So I was just wondering, if you had M$ VM installed, and used IE instead of an alternate browser ( providing security settings allowed ) would the M$ VM be active, even though you deleted Sun's version? Would it be active for say, Explorer?
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Hi IKnowNot,

Long time no see...glad to see you're still around,

see if I have VM on my Windows 2000 SP 4
    according to Microsofts own site 2000 doesn't have VM automatically installed and I verified that through rum cmd that it did not exist on my computer...I had previously installed java via plug-ins but uninstalled it due to how vunerable everyone said it was to being infected...but I never deleted the jar file because I wasn't sure if it was a necessary function of the computer...

since Sir Dice gave the OK to nuke...I nuked it.

Even the shortcut and the search for the file javaws.exe. turned up nothing and asked if I wanted to delete the shortcut which I did.

Eg

Originally posted here by IKnowNot

There was a warning that once the M$ VM was installed it could not be uninstalled.
    Hi IKnowNot,

I think it is possible to uninstall it!
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

For Win2000, I thought that it is originally shipped with JVM?

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Hi BC,
    For Win2000, I thought that it is originally shipped with JVM?
    Not with service pack 4...

Q1: Is the Microsoft VM installed or updated by Windows 2000 SP4?

A1: No. The Microsoft VM is not installed or updated by Windows 2000 SP4. This information applies to both update and integrated (or slipstreamed) installations of SP4, including the integrated Windows 2000 SP4 CD-ROM.

Q2: Is it possible to have the Microsoft VM installed on a Windows 2000 SP4-based computer?

A2: Yes. Existing versions of the Microsoft VM are not removed when you upgrade Windows 2000, or a previous operating system with the Microsoft VM (such as Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition), to Windows 2000 SP4. Additionally, some versions of the Microsoft VM might still be distributed by independent software vendors (ISVs) who have a license for redistribution as provided by the terms of the license agreements for Microsoft Visual J++ or the Microsoft SDK for Java products. Because the Microsoft VM files are not protected by the Windows File Protection (WFP) feature in Windows 2000 SP4, redistributable versions of the Microsoft VM can be installed on a Windows 2000 SP4-based computer with or without the Microsoft VM. For additional information about the Windows File Protection feature, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    you have to have it in an earlier version or install it yourself.

Eg

Black Cluster, thanks for the link. I didn't know that.
    I guess Sun didn't like what M$ said about not being able to uninstall their version!

As I recall, even though I had Sun's version on XP the Windows Update site was extremely annoying about my Vm being out of date and unsafe. Sun's java console though allows you to choose which one to use, so I finally relented and installed Microsoft's version. But the console gets deleted if you uninstall Sun's version.

Guess I'll see what happens now when I uninstall it.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by IKnowNot
    As I recall, even though I had Sun's version on XP the Windows Update site was extremely annoying about my Vm being out of date and unsafe.
    What version of Sun's VM do you use? I've got 1.5.0_04-b05 and Windows Update works as it should.. I didn't know WU used Java.. I always assumed it used some Active-X control because it only works in IE..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Windows Update works fine for me without Java...I update all the time...as well as have automatic update ...never had a problem.

Eg