Thread: Screen Shots

Screen Shots

OK...dumb question...but it doesn't come up very often...did it once before and now forget how to do it...

using Firefox...how do you make a screen shot?

It's web related in that I want to make thumbnails of my blogs.

Eg

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Hit the 'Prnt Scrn' button. Open it in something like paint or photoshop and edit. To open it just 'paste'.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Or you can get a little free program called "MWSnap" that will allow you to take the whole screen or any part of it and save it in any format you wish to.
    (google MWSnap to find it)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Egal my friend!

To ease to process of creating thumbnails, you can use photoshop's automate tools to creat such things, I think it is somewhere in File => Automate ... it will automatically generate HTML files with the thumbnails and the original size, just take the shots and put them in a single folder!

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Egal, if you look at my website and view source I have code for thumbnails using CSS. Though you may already know how to do this.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

AO Senior Cow-beller
    What our colleagues are trying to tell you in varous ways, Egal, is that Windows has some screen capture features already. Pressing the "PrtSc" (or Print Screen...depends on how your keyboard is labeled) button will capture a raster format image of the current display to the system clipboard. You can then paste it into any compatible application (many MS Office documents, image editing app's, etc.)

To capture just the curent active window (i.e. your Firefox, IE, or Opera browser window), make sure the window has focus, then press ALT+PrtScr. This will give you the same sort of data to the clipboard, but of JUST the window in focus, not the entire desktop.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Hmm...since no one else mentioned it, if you're using some nixish OS, try this:

Code:
    $ import -window filename.jpg
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Hi Everyone,

Well..I don't have photoshop, and my print screen button doesn't seem to work...and I can't seem to remember how I did that one time before...so...I downloaded something called Gadwin Print Screen and I must say it works very well and is very easy to use.

Thanks, I appreciate the reponse and the effort,

Eg

if your using it on a website - rather than creating all the thumbnails yourself (really really tiresome if you have alot of pics) here is a wee php function I wrote which can scale a pic down to whatever size thumbnail you wish.

It keeps image proportions so your images dont end up looking stretched etc and handles .gif, .jpg and .png - It does not however check if a thumbnail already exsists before generating a new one. It simply overwrites the one currently there. This can make page generation slow if it is trying to generate new thumbnails everytime. I recommend using something like

Code:
    if(!getimagesize("path/to/image.jpg")) 
      {
         //run function
      }
    However you need to ensure that PHP's error reporting is set not to show warnings as getimagesize also generates a warning as well as returning FALSE;

Ok on with the function :

Code:
    //-------------------------------------------------------------------------//
    // Function : createthumb
    // Create a thumbnail of an image. Returns nothing (handles gif, jpg, png)
    //-------------------------------------------------------------------------//

function createthumb($name,$filename,$new_w,$new_h){
    	$system=explode('.',$name);
    	if (preg_match('/jpg|jpeg/',$system[1])){
    		$src_img=imagecreatefromjpeg($name);
    	}
    	if (preg_match('/png/',$system[1])){
    		$src_img=imagecreatefrompng($name);
    	}
    	if (preg_match('/gif/',$system[1])){
    		$src_img=imagecreatefromgif($name);
    	}

$old_x=imageSX($src_img);
    	$old_y=imageSY($src_img);

$scale = min($new_w/$old_x, $new_h/$old_y);

if ($scale < 1) {
            $thumb_w = floor($scale*$old_x);
            $thumb_h = floor($scale*$old_y);
        }
    	else
    	{
    	$thumb_w = $old_x;
    	$thumb_h = $old_y;
    	}

$dst_img=ImageCreateTrueColor($thumb_w,$thumb_h);
    	imagecopyresampled($dst_img,$src_img,0,0,0,0,$thumb_w,$thumb_h,$old_x,$old_y);

if (preg_match("/png/",$system[1]))
    	{
    		imagepng($dst_img,$filename); 
    	} elseif (preg_match("/jpg/",$system[1])) {
    		imagejpeg($dst_img,$filename); 
    	} else {
    		imagegif($dst_img,$filename); 
    	}
    	imagedestroy($dst_img); 
    	imagedestroy($src_img); 
    }
    variables are :

• $name - File to generate thumb from (inc path eg: uploads/images/pic.jpg)
    • $filename - What to save thumb as (inc path eg: uploads/images/thumbs/tn_pic.jpg)
    • $new_w - maximum width of thumbnail
    • $new_h - maximum height of thumbnail

the direcory you are writing the thumbs to needs to have correct permissions oh and dont worry if you supply it an image which is smaller than the maximum height || width it keeps it as is

ta

v_Ln

valhallen; What about .JPG files? :P you need either /i or use sets to allow case insensitivity. Just a note
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.