Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Netbios problems?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Is NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on the machines?

Make sure you don't have two master browsers. An NT box is likely to try to grab the master browser role regardless of the fact that there is a valid master browser on the subnet. It then plays havoc with WINS and NetBIOS. There's an article somewhere on MS about forcing a master browser out of it's role. I never used it but one of my employees told me about it when we had a similar problem.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    I thought that netbios resolution went like this:

local cache (lmhosts), broadcast, WINS, DNS, hosts file
    That depends on the NetBT nodetype...

This parameter determines what methods NetBT will use to register and resolve names. A B-node system uses broadcasts. A P-node system uses only point- to-point name queries to a name server (WINS). An M-node system broadcasts first, then queries the name server. An H-node system queries the name server first, then broadcasts. Resolution via LMHOSTS and/or DNS, if enabled, will follow the these methods. If this key is present it will override the DhcpNodeType key. If neither key is present, the system defaults to Bnode if there are no WINS servers configured for the network. The system defaults to Hnode if there is at least one WINS server configured.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;120642
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    NT4 doesn't support this..

Make sure you don't have two master browsers. An NT box is likely to try to grab the master browser role regardless of the fact that there is a valid master browser on the subnet. It then plays havoc with WINS and NetBIOS. There's an article somewhere on MS about forcing a master browser out of it's role. I never used it but one of my employees told me about it when we had a similar problem.
    I recommend turning off the "Computer Browser" service (set to disabled) on ALL workstations to prevent problems with the Master Browser.. Restarting the service on the DC will start a new master browser election..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

On the workstations (2k and xp) yes.

SirDice: The computer browser service is disabled on all workstations.
    I did see an error in the event log on the NT 4 box that said it beleives it is the master browser and it really is not. That is the problem?

Restart the computer browser service on one of the Active Directory servers to force a new election?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.