Thread: Firefox 1.5 problems

Firefox 1.5 problems

Is anyone else experiencing a rather large amount of timed-outs and slow loading pages?

I've had this problem ever since the install.

Eg

Windows 2000 pro

Hi there Egaladeist check out this link : Known Issues

Off Topic :
    Is anyone else experiencing a rather large amount of timed-outs and slow loading pages?
    Yeach check out my mood ... Oh well all good things come in time ...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I have not installed it yet and I don't know how creditable the Inquirer is, but this might explain some of the issues:

New Firefox loses features

Plug ins plugged out

By Nick Farrell: Tuesday 06 December 2005, 08:34
    THE MOZZARELLA Foundation's new version of the open sauce browser Firefox is apparently shipping with reduced functionality.

Donald French, a Firefox user and President of the Institute for Advanced Professional Studies in Boston, Massachusetts said that the loss of functionality is only noticable if you read the release notes and who ever does that?

According to French, Flamingbadger 1.5 blocks the use of any plug-in that it thinks is incompatible with its operation.

"From a technical perspective, this compatibility requirement is a good idea, preventing the browser from operating unreliably due to incompatible extensions. From a user perspective, it's an unpleasant surprise to learn of diminished functionality only after the upgrade," French said.

French said however that plug-in blocking means that quarter of his extensions were no longer available and some of them were important. �It was quite a shock, and a big disappointment, to learn my upgraded browser removed some vital features. The prior version was good enough and worth keeping until the needed extensions became compatible with the new version of Firefox," said French.

"Prior to upgrading, Firefox users should verify that essential functionality will be preserved. What's needed is a warning about the potential loss of features and an up-to-date list of compatible add-ons. If there was a list, I did not see it," said French. �

Source
    Connection refused, try again later.

Believe it or not...it took me from about 8pm till now to re-access this page...

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.google.com.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
    ww.example.com instead of
    www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    My ISP had a server problem just last month where I either couldn't get on the net or if I managed to get on, I couldn't go anywhere.

I'm on Dial-up...the funny thing this time is the bytes received compared to bytes sent...when the ISP had the problem before ( and this ISP always seems to have problems ) you could tell there was a problem because the bytes received would be less than those sent ( usually, the ones received are about 4 times the ones sent eg. 75000 sent 300000 received )...but this time it's normal...right now it's...119853 sent and 581814 received...so...I'm receiving but still getting caught in traffic??? Which is why I think it's a Firefox issue...because it only started happening after the install.

Should I try a re-install?

Eg

Believe it or not...it took me from about 8pm till now to re-access this page...
    Wow that really sucks man I feel for you ...

Should I try a re-install?
    How about uninstalling it and installing Firefox 1.0.7 until the bugs/problems get worked out ...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Hi AS,

It's 10:33pm right now and I just got back ...I think I'll uninstall and reinstall 1.0.7 like you said.

thanks everyone,

Eg

Be sure to try it in safemode first to rule out bad extensions. If it works then you can disable them one at a time to find the culprit.

Yeah I believe it is the extensions, I downloaded FF 1.5 and right away noticed my scroll bar on the right had disappeared, so I checked the forums and noticed someone else had run into this problem and to solve... disabled an extension.

That's what I did, and now I am back to walnut and everything seems to be fine.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson