Thread: symantec primary server doesn't update secondary one !

symantec primary server doesn't update secondary one !

hi all,
    i have installed symantec antivirus corporation 10 on a computer as primary server in our lan,
    it's IP addrr is 192.168.2.4 .
    and installed the same antivirus on other computer as secondary server which has 192.168.1.214 IP addr,
    but the problem is the primary server doesn't update secondary server.
    the clinets which are on different range from primary server recieve update from it well but the secondary one not,
    what is the problem ?
    it is related to firewall ?
    tnx friends.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    It could be firewall related. I am assuming these are Windows servers, but since you haven't told us what kind, it's hard to say. 2003? 2000 server? Nt4?

Active directory? Domain service accounts running the AV engine? Firewalls on the hosts or between the subnets?

There are a myriad of possible causes, and without some finer details, anything we say is pure speculation.

So, what sort of servers, how are they related, what sort of network devices or firewalls separate them, etc.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

sorry , you are right,
    the primary server is server 2003 and the secondary is xp Sp2 ,
    firewall is between hosts,
    without any active directory,
    i have to mention when i install client version of symantec on secondary server insted of server version it recieve updates from primary server .

i have installed ssc on primary server and i can see all clients of my primary server but no one of secondaries or shown on it .
    there is a firewall between this two servers and my friends said she has opened my IP addrr on it to have free comminucation .
    but the secondary couldn't update yet .

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    See the server to server communication document on the Symantec site:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...pen&dtype=corp

Also, SAV relies on NetBIOS communication. By now you should realise that NetBIOS is not routable so you have to configure a WINS server (I've also heard that dynamic DNS in AD will work) so that the lookups take place. So, if clients aren't seeing servers (presumably on different subnets) then these two things need to be addressed before the solution will work.

Happy trails.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

BIOS Bomber
    slightly off topic but how does XP SP2 hold up as a server?
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

when i search for the primary server by its IP addr (192.168.2.4) on my computer(192.168.1.214) it can find it,but when i double click its icon to enter it and see shared documents i prompted to enter usename and password , but it is not so for others in 192.168.1.0 .
    how can i solve this problem ?

Originally posted here by mandraketux
    slightly off topic but how does XP SP2 hold up as a server?
    but the problem is just between secondary server and primary ,clinet are ok and see and recieve updates .
    what are differences between client to server comminucation and server to server commiunication ????

bumped