Job Market

Thread: Job Market

Job Market

I was originally located in the North East (New England/New York, USA) and the technical job market was booming for individuals with Network/Web Security and Linux exp. I decided to move down south (Florida) because everyone says the cost of living is so low and I really wanted to buy my first house. I get to Florida in June and post my resume. Since June I have had the following jobs: Target (Assets Protection), Juvenile Corrections Officer, Help Desk Technician. I started at Target and informed the Exec Team Lead it was only temp until I can get back into the field, I needed the money pretty much. I started full time and then was offered the Juvie job and then Target asked if I wanted to stay part-time, so I agreed. The Juvie job was bad, they were under-staffed and took it out on the employees. I got sick and called out one day and I got screamed at, so I gave my two weeks. Luckily Target was willing to give me full-time hours until I got another job offer. A couple weeks later I got a call from Pomeroy about a Help-Desk position w/ Verizon. I though it would be good to at least get back into the field. This place was all about the threats, you be fired for this or that any time you did anything. I tried to keep my nose clean for the most part and pull in the paychecks. I figured I would get myself situated to move back North and then it happened. I was let go for complaining about a broken chair. SERIOUSLY!! They said they cannot have people demanding things (I said I needed a chair with a working back, because I have back problems) and they said they cannot having people embarrasing the company (I asked a Verizon manager about a chair since Pomeroy said it was Verizon's equipment and they can't make changes). In the North East this **** would not happen, because the company would be sued so fast. I am not one to get all into a legal battle and I am more focused on getting back North, but seriously if you ever think about moving to Florida get a job lined up first or you may be stuck working for someone like Target who is begging me to wait until after the holidays to go back North.

So here is the wrap up: I move to Florida with $10,000 I pulled from my 401K. I lived in Florida for 6 Months and had 3 jobs. I am currently selling ALL of my belongings to assist with my move back North and will have lost everything on my gamble in which I thought the cost of living was so much lower.

OH Dear! my dear friend, you certainly live in the wrong place!

Over here you would be good for about $50,000, and the managers would be lucky to get jobs throwing trash into garbage trucks.

We take health and safety at work very seriously.............like your guys would be looking at our equivalent of "depraved indifference". A good example is if you have to wear eyeglasses to use the computer..............your employer has to pay for them (not designer frames, of course) They also have to pay for an eye test, even if it turns out that you don't need the glasses!

Health and Safety come round and check your chair, desk, monitor, sitting position etc and you have to go through this questionnaire that has to be signed off at the end. Actually it is a nice little earner, as there are a lot of small local companies who do not have an H&S officer. My nearest competitors are 30 miles away so you are looking at a three hour travel time plus expenses...........makes it easy to significantly undercut them

Now, if you fell off that chair or were injured by it...........the ambulance chasers would be on it like a can of worms with an outboard motor.................and their "Employer's Liability Insurance" would go through the roof!

I wish you luck with your job hunting

The company I worked for before I moved down here paid for everything. A new chair every 2 years (because of wear on it) new keyboards and mice annually (germs and wear) eye tests and had their own optical department, flu shots annually and my boss was the easiest person to deal with and the most lienant there could be.

I left because I wanted to buy my first house (ave house in FL 180,000 - 200,000 in the NE it was 300,000 - 400,000). I plan to move back and hopefully get my groove back. I'm just upset I have to sell everything I own and start from scratch again. It is very hard on the mind, if you think about it.

Hey Hey,

The joys of the world of risk.

I was a little taken a back at first by the "flu shots annually"... do you guys have to pay for those as well in the States??? If so you're health care system really sucks ass..

I could go for a chair (I definately did not get a chair for the full bodied male)... but other than that things are good here..

I also hear you about working for Verizon Helpdesk.... I did that for a month at their one call center up here.. They treat you like ****...

I can also understand taking the risk... I'm considering it and I've got nothing right now so it's not a big risk but A house here is around 150-200K... I can move back home and get one for 50-60K...

Good luck with finding your groove again.

Peace,
    HT

PS.... Really bored today
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Thanx for letting me rant. I got a call last night from a company in my home state. It is a Technical Support Manager position dealing with Lotus Notes Administration. It sounds like a sweet deal, I should be making a trip up shortly to do a one-on-one interview. Wish me luck...

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    hey man sorry to hear you got screwed over... hope things work out for the better soon.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted