Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winsockfix

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Here are what the commands do:

netsh winsock show catalog

This command displays the list of Winsock LSPs that are installed on the computer.
    LSP = Layered Service Providers

netsh winsock reset

Remarks: Resets Winsock Catalog to a clean state.
    All Winsock Layered Service Providers which were previously
    installed must be reinstalled.
    This command does not affect Winsock Name Space Provider
    entries.
    Also, on a side note, here is a simple command(s) to see what ports are open on your system without the use of 3rd party software.

netsh firewall show portopening

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\computernerd>netsh firewall show portopening

Port configuration for Domain profile:
    Port Protocol Mode Name
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    139 TCP Enable NetBIOS Session Service
    445 TCP Enable SMB over TCP
    137 UDP Enable NetBIOS Name Service
    138 UDP Enable NetBIOS Datagram Service
    1900 UDP Enable SSDP Component of UPnP Framework
    2869 TCP Enable UPnP Framework over TCP

Port configuration for Standard profile:
    Port Protocol Mode Name
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    139 TCP Enable NetBIOS Session Service
    445 TCP Enable SMB over TCP
    137 UDP Enable NetBIOS Name Service
    138 UDP Enable NetBIOS Datagram Service
    1900 UDP Enable SSDP Component of UPnP Framework
    2869 TCP Enable UPnP Framework over TCP

C:\Documents and Settings\computernerd>
    Looks like I have some work to do.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I don't mean to bring up what seems to be a dead thread, but I must say winsockfix is one of the most useful peices of software I have ever used when cleaning machines. I have also recommended it many times before...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

BTW, what's a peep?

A peep is usually a little marshmallow candy sold around easter, but they seem to be branching out - http://www.marshmallowpeeps.com/

grrrr winsock
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

Hi,

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, (but as the duck said i think it has come to the end of its life)

Basically i had a panicked call from my dad who has told me his internet has stopped working. He has been on the phone to NTL (the service provider) and after going through there diagnostics they have determined his Winsock is corrupted, they determined this by pinging bbc.co.uk using there ip, which worked and then trying to ping using the name which failed. They told him to reload windows.

After a bit of searching i came across this thread and whilst as he couldn't get on the net he couldn't get the winsockfix program he has now used the netsh winsock reset command which worked perfectly, reset the system, but still the same problem.

So the question is, is there anything else that he can do (bearing in mind he can only connect to sites using ip addresses), or is NTL correct, as i have used there tech support a couple of times, not believed them when they said my only option is to reload and subsequently fixed it.

Oh yeah BTW he only has a system restore disk, not an origional windows disk

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the hi-jack, hope the thread owner doesn't mind...

Matt
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    through there diagnostics they have determined his Winsock is corrupted, they determined this by pinging bbc.co.uk using there ip, which worked and then trying to ping using the name which failed. They told him to reload windows.
    If that is your issue I would recommend going here http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;314067

further resources can be found here:

http://www.google.com/microsoft?hq=m...domain+name%27

before re-installing windows. IMO how about IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS, NETSH INT IP RESET RESETLOG.TXT tried using system restore

All things Computernerd22 said ... and ... Did you try by setting the DNS fixed in your IP-config ? The DNS of your provider that is ?

Maybe test that also ... And maybe check for spyware and malware (use Hijack This) found on this page: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Anyway ...success.

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

Is there anyway that the links can be put into an IP address format as he can't follow then as he can't connect without using IP addresses, and i live over an hour away and don't have the time to get to him. I have already relayed as much as possible over the phone, but there is a lot of info there.

Computernerd22: I have told him the commands in your post and am waiting for him to get back as to whether they worked/what they did

Thanks
    www.simpleits.co.uk

Hi,

Well he now has it working!

However he's not sure what he did to get it working and i'll explain why.

Basically yesterday he did try 2 restore points, one from last week, and one from a month ago and neither produced a result. He then tried the commands suggested earlier in this post and still no joy. Then i posted on here the help request and he tried one last restore from a point that was about 6 months ago. (actually he said that he tried three before that that didn't restore and eventually the 6 month old one did) Anyway by that time it was late so he decided to totally unplug everything (i gotta be honest thats usually my first action) and go to bed. This morning he tried the two commands suggested by computernerd22 which processed fine, but he still couldn't connect.

Then he realised he hadn't plugged the network cable back in after last night. WHAT AN IDIOT!!! Anyway he did and it now works, so in conclusion either the restore point worked this time and for some reason the others didn't, or the two commands suggested by computernerd22 worked. Either way he has a good connection again.

So thanks for your help guys, i think when i go round there this christmas i might run a few scans and tidy up his pc a bit for him, but at least now he can get back to work.

Thanks

Matt
    www.simpleits.co.uk