problem with Suse9.1

Thread: problem with Suse9.1

problem with Suse9.1

Ok last night i decided to take the plunge into Suse land, anyhow install was easy as pie, got it dual booted with WinXP.

Anyhow rebooted it and logged back in as Root, to finish configuring everything only to find that i need a Linux driver for my SB5101 Motorola Surfboard cable modem..
    i checked in the network settings using Yast and it comes up with an option to configure DLS,ISDN,Dial up modem, Or Network card..

So does this mean that it's not compatable with my cable modem.? Or am i missing something here, as i've tried many different searches into google and i carn't seem to find the relevant driver that i'm looking for.

anyhelp would be much appreciated..

f2b

Pop a NIC in the box and hook up a Cat 5 cable from the card to the modem. Should work without a problem.

You won't need to configure it.

Originally posted here by gore
    Pop a NIC in the box and hook up a Cat 5 cable from the card to the modem. Should work without a problem.

You won't need to configure it.
    Already tried that.
    I even dug up the USB cable that came with the modem and tried using that, and i get the same results, nothing detected, carn't even pull up a screen to let me configure it when USB is used.

Bugger it, i'll just take the Box to work on Monday and i'll get the dude whom set up my server to take a look at it.
    it's pretty late and i'm buggered, haven't slept in 24 hours cause i've been trying to solve it. Maybe a fresh set of eyes will solve the prob..

f2b

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Well, a quick hack would be to use the CAT 5 setup and assign static IP, gateway and DNS entries. This should work if the NIC card is actually seen by the OS. This has nothing at all to do with detecting a cable modem and should work without issue provided that all the networking components installed properly during setup. (and assuming your cable modem is working properly)

What brand of NIC do you have? Is it supported by SuSE?

PS
    Why aren't you using a little SOHO router between you and your cable modem? If your cablemodem is a bridge mode setup by default, you may have bigger issues than getting an IP address. You will be directly exposing the host to the big bad evil internet. Not good mate.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

This is a time when I'd love to have a machien that magically zaps me to member's houses. When I put SUSE on for the first time, I had the Cable modem hooked with a coax from the wall to the modem and a Cat5E cable from the modem to the card, then I installed SUSE and it selects DHCP by default anyway so when I booted up it grabbed an IP and I was online.

What the hell kind of NIC are you using that it doesn't find??? I went to a cheap grocery store and found a card from D-Link that worked out of the box. Are you sure the card works? And...Sadly... Have you checked to make sure it's plugged in?

Originally posted here by gore
    [B] I had the Cable modem hooked with a coax from the wall to the modem and a Cat5E cable from the modem to the card,
    That's how my set up is.
    then I installed SUSE and it selects DHCP by default anyway so when I booted up it grabbed an IP and I was online.
    installed it, the damned thing didn't grab DHCP the most i got was a prompt to choose and ISP, they were ALL american so i just choose Other.
    I typed in all the needed information like IP addie, dns etc etc.
    know the information i typed in isn't wrong cause the tech suport dude from the people i'm getting the Internet from, gave me all the details.

What the hell kind of NIC are you using that it doesn't find???
    It's a D-Link 100Mb, the onbuilt one on the board is some shitty 10mb one,
    Are you sure the card works? And...Sadly... Have you checked to make sure it's plugged in?
    Yes, and Yes to both of those..

Ok well i finally got it to work. WOOT WOOT..
    Anyhow it turned out that the modem i was using is not compatible with ANY thing except windoze.
    So after ringing up the Internet Provider and giving them some grief, they sent a tech person out and delivered me a new Cable Modem and a install disc.
    Anyhow thanks Gore, and horse, ideas were great.

Well i guess i'm officially in SuSE Land..

f2b