Monitor Problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitor Problem

Monitor Problem

Hi

I am writing this post under very bad conditions.

My monitor from yesterday is behaving very badly. It flickers a lot and after that the whole display is reduced to half of the screen adn it constantly flickers. The problem remains the same on booting up so i dont think that there is a problem with os. I had replaced the power cord but it didnt helped. Sometimes it works fine altogether. What could be the reason. Please help i am very annoyed by this.

please help as soon as possible.

Forgive me for any errors in post as i am unable to see what i am writing.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Hi,

How old is it, and what make/model/type?

Can you boot into safe mode? if you can, do you still have the problem?

If you still have the problem in safe mode, can you try connecting the monitor to a different computer?

What resolution and refresh rate are you set at, that can sometimes be the problem.

Otherwise in order of preference:

1. Dying VDU
    2. Dying video card
    3. Dying RAM

Mystery Man

When things break, guys like to look and tinker, however, please do not be tempted to open up a Monitor to see whats wrong. There is enough voltage stored in there that can kill you and nothing most people can adjust or tune.

!~cheers~!
    Connection refused, try again later.

This is some excellent advice so I shall repeat it:

When things break, guys like to look and tinker, however, please do not be tempted to open up a Monitor to see whats wrong. There is enough voltage stored in there that can kill you and nothing most people can adjust or tune.

There can be voltages that would kill you a month after the thing was switched off

If a monitor fails you either take it to a TV repair shop, or get a new one.

I didn't mention it but you might try removing and reseating your video card and RAM. Clean the contacts with alcohol or a proprietary cleaner and blow the dust bunnies out of the slots

Hi

It is a HP55 monitor that came with the pc i bought in 2001. its 15''.
    Its been workin fine since then and also works fine sometimes after the problem came yesterday.

The resolution is 1024x768 and tell me how can i set the refresh rate ??

i havent tried the safe mode but the problem exists when the computer boots up on the boot screen so i dont think the os has any part in it. i removed the graphics card from my agp and connected the monitor to the graphics memory on the motherboard and the problem persisted.

i know about the voltage and wont dare to do anything with it.

It is very strange that the problem arised yesterday morning. the monitor worked fine in short spells of random interval. It worked absolutely fine last night and today morning and is giving problems since noon. As i am writing this post it is working fine. On the distortion of the video no sound is produced. It works fine and goes bad at will irrespective of what am currently doing on the computer. The screen is confined to the upper half of the monitor and the rest is blacked. There is contineous distortion in the screen when this happens.

Mystery Man,

You got 4 years out of the monitor and pc, that's prettty darn good! They do just wear out over time. All the startups - shutdowns are extremely hard on electronics. After awhile the solder is quite literally knocked loose from the pins, boards, connectors, etc.

Need to know what OS you are using so we can help you with changing to a lower setting.

cheers

well i have win98, win xp and red hat linux 9.0 all in multiboot.
    do tell me how to lower the settings.
    thanx

Hi MM,

Right, I have a pair of Compaq V55 15" monitors which will be identical to yours apart from the name on the front. Compaq and HP were very close even before they merged operations

The reason that I suggested "safe mode" is that it is an old troubleshooting trick. What it does is load default drivers and set the video to 480x640 16 colours. I am trying to find out if it is the monitor, or something else.

I agree that this is NOT your OS, it is either hardware or the drivers.

As you seem to be describing a random event, I think that we can rule out heat. That would tend to be noticeably time related?

One test you can try is to disconnect your monitor from the PC and turn it on. You will either get a "no signal" message or a diagnostic screen. Just leave it for a while and see what happens.

Also, to answer your question, go into <start> <settings> <control panel> <display> and set the resolution to 800x600. In "advanced" you should be able to select the "monitor" option and change the refresh rate.

The other thing to do is to get the latest drivers for your monitor AND sound card/chipset. Conflicts between audio and video are notorious.

Cheers

EDIT: I would test it with one OS environment only................I suggest Win98

Huh??

LOL...didn't mean to suggest an OS issue, just which one to use for his tests. Nihil is top dead center with hardware & drivers. Anyway tuck these in your notebook for later.

KDE's
    click on K-Menu > Control Center > Peripherals > Display > Size & Oreientation Tab > click on the drop down arrow on the Refresh rate: make an appropriate selection.

SuSE (KDE's above and)
    YaST2 Modules > Hardware > Graphics Card and Monitor > Admin mode > Password > Card and Monitor Properties : make an appropriate selection.

cheers

Sorry Relyt

That bit referred to a PM..................I just copy and pasted my response